The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., with regional offices across the country—seeks a senior editor with demonstrated experience editing scholarly research, op-eds and/or magazine and journal articles. If you want to join a collaborative and multifaceted organization working toward pragmatic, positive impact, this may be just the opportunity you need.
Your typical day at R Street may include editing our various scholarly publications and shepherding them through the publication process; working closely with our policy teams to maximize the impact of their scholarship, and to ensure the rigor and accuracy of our policy products; and helping the Director of Research Publications to create, manage and refine departmental processes. This role is nested within the Publications department, which works alongside R Street’s policy team. Please note this is not a policy writing position and, as such, does not require a political or ideological affiliation representative of our policy positions. We believe the strongest candidates will be those who can approach our scholarship with a critical lens.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Receive, review and edit white papers, policy shorts, the R Street Responds review series and rapid response pieces as needed
- Liaise between the policy team and external contractors
- Work with authors to improve content and style where needed
- Ensure all final copy is ready for publication, appropriate for target audiences, appropriately referenced, and consistent with house style guidelines and R Street’s mission
- Assist the Director of Research Publications with upkeep of the editorial calendar, the creation of departmental materials, updating the house style guide and other administrative tasks as necessary
Experience and skills
- At least 5-7 years of experience, specifically either as a public policy or academic editor
- A keen sense of effective argumentation, an ability to approach complex issues objectively and a desire to work toward real solutions
- Attention to detail, and a willingness to learn and consistently apply the R Street style guide
- Basic familiarity or polymath’s interest in major debates within R Street’s policy areas
- A bachelor’s degree in English, journalism or political science (or related field) is required
- Because a familiarity with scholarly research and writing is necessary to perform the duties of the position, the ideal candidate will have an advanced degree in English, or a related field
- Fluency in AP Style is a must, as is a working knowledge of Chicago and/or MLA. R Street has its own house style guide, which you’ll be required to learn, but it is based upon a hybrid of these styles and existing familiarity with them will ease the learning curve
- A knowledge of Bluebook is a bonus, but not required
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization
- A desire to work as part of a highly functional and productive team
- Profound love of cats specifically encouraged
Other useful information
We offer a flexible working arrangement. This is a full-time position that can either work the majority of the week in our D.C. office or be fully remote.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide the following:
- Unlimited paid time off policy, including all Federal holidays, the day after Thanksgiving, and two weeks holiday closure in December
- Alternating Fridays off
- A health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families)
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match
- HSA employer contribution match
- Quarterly wellness reimbursement
- Mobile equipment reimbursement
- Internet subsidy
- Monthly mobile plan reimbursement
- Annual educational and professional development reimbursement
- An option between a child care assistance, pet care assistance, or student loan repayment assistance reimbursement
R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity, relationship structure or anything else that’s illegal, immoral or nonsensical to use as a basis for hiring.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact qualified individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. Interviews will be held virtually, via Zoom.
To apply, please upload a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format.