Nesta is a global innovation foundation. We back new ideas to tackle the big challenges of our time. We use our knowledge, networks, funding and skills – working in partnership with others, including governments, businesses and charities. We are a UK charity but work all over the world, supported by a financial endowment.
Nesta believes strongly in encouraging and supporting entrepreneurship and to see more, better-quality, young firms start and scale. Our Startups team achieves this by research, analysis and policy influence, including investigating the components of startup ecosystems, understanding the effectiveness of support mechanisms, and promoting supportive policies at local, national and European levels.
We are looking for a Senior or Principal Researcher to join us here at Nesta and take the on the research component of the Startup Europe Partnership. If this sounds like you, head over to their website.
This significant position will see our successful candidate work within our Research, Analysis and Policy team on several key projects, including taking the lead on the research component of the Startup Europe Partnership. This two-year initiative aims to help startups to scale across Europe by identifying obstacles to scaling, mapping startup-corporate collaborations, and promoting good practice via publications and other means.
Reporting to the Head of New Technology and Startup Research, you will also:
- Write clear, concise and engaging policy briefings, research reports and blogs on Nesta’s website
- Speak to the media about policy proposals relating to startups and entrepreneurship
- Diffuse our findings among policy and academic audiences, including through conference presentations
- Work closely with the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) and international stakeholders, such as the European Commission and OECD.
To secure this opportunity candidates:
- Must posses a clear passion for innovation and entrepreneurship,
- You will hold a strong postgraduate degree in a relevant subject (e.g. Innovation Studies, Economics, Management, Science Policy),
- Plus have a sound knowledge of policy-making processes at local, national or European levels and of relevant academic literature on entrepreneurship.
You will also:
- Have a proven track record in the design, development and production of high-impact research proposals and outputs in relevant fields, as well as the management of technically complex, multi-stakeholder projects.
- Be confident, approachable and engaging, with impressive interpersonal skills
- Be an outstanding communicator, both verbal and written, particularly through technical papers, reports for non-technical audiences and social media/blogs.