New Local is a think tank and network working to transform public services and empower communities. We publish research on some of today’s most pressing issues – like housing, welfare and health – informed by our network of 60-plus local authorities.
We are looking for a Senior Policy Researcher who shares our values and our passion for practical and policy change.
The role is pivotal and will involve working closely with colleagues responsible for the practice, communications, events and our brilliant network of innovative councils. A big part of this role will be working collaboratively across the organisation to ensure our research builds on and benefits from the range of our assets as a think tank and a network. This will include working on practice projects as our research team works across both research and practice projects to ensure both areas complement each other.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Producing excellent, impactful research contributing to our flagship research programme, which is focussed on developing and embedding community power in policy and practice.
- Conducting a range of research and related activity including literature and policy reviews, interviews, surveys and other background research to support high-quality analysis.
- Writing a range of engaging written materials including research reports, policy briefings, blogs and press articles to support the dissemination of your analysis, arguments and recommendations and to raise the profile of community power in general.
- Working on projects across the organisation including in our developing area of practice, which deploys teams including researchers to understand and support public sector organisations to implement practical actions to become more community-powered.
- Representing the organisation externally at events and by presenting research to a range of stakeholders, including central government, the public sector, local government and the wider public policy community.
- Producing written materials for our membership network including briefings, case studies and email updates.
- Supporting our role as a network convenor, which includes facilitating workshops and other ad hoc activities to support peer learning and practice sharing.
- Actively contributing to our communications, campaigns and policy influencing work, collaborating with colleagues across the team to produce impactful and accessible materials.
- Maintaining relationships with stakeholders relevant to the policy work of New Local.
- Contributing to developing and funding research project proposals.
- Undertaking other reasonable duties as specified by the Director of Research or the wider Senior Management Team, and to contribute to the corporate activities of New local.
Experience and skills
- Outstanding written skills, with a demonstrable track record of brilliant writing for a range of audiences and a deep understanding of how to present complex research in engaging and accessible ways.
- Brilliant verbal communication skills, able to present ideas and arguments in an engaging way to a variety of audiences.
- Experience in analysing, synthesising and communicating knowledge to a range of audiences.
- Experience in leading and significantly contributing to a range of research projects.
- Excellent research skills covering qualitative and/or quantitative methods.
- The ability to grasp new ideas, develop them and make them your own.
- The ability to manage projects within a fast-paced and busy environment and to juggle competing deadlines.
- A champion for community power, who understands and is committed to its principles.
- A friendly and supportive colleague able to work in a highly creative and collaborative environment that encourages autonomy and excellence from all members of the team.
- Experience in workshop facilitation.