ODI is an independent, global affairs think tank.
ODI’s Human Mobility Initiative are looking for a researcher to lead on and deliver outstanding research within our portfolio on migration and development, public attitudes and narratives on migration and on human mobility in urban settings.
Key roles and responsibilities
You will be undertaking innovative research and analysis, and influencing the international debate through public affairs activities including publications, media engagement, speaking at conferences, and providing advice to governments and business at a senior level. You will have the opportunity to pursue new and innovative research interests by designing research projects, obtaining funding and managing resources for delivery. You will be influencing policies and decisions that make a difference though engaging with policymakers in knowledge and advisory processes, disseminating results though innovative and strategic communications and outreach.
Experience and skills
- A degree and post-graduate qualification in a relevant discipline;
- Extensive and deep knowledge of key issues and organisations in international development, migration, displacement and related fields.
- An understanding of key global trends such as climate change, conflict, financing for development.
- Fluency in English, and preferably a good command of at least one other language, French, Arabic, and or Spanish useful.
- Experience in policy-oriented research, demonstrated by a track record of publications and reports;
- Extensive experience of field/empirical research in a variety of settings, primary and secondary data collection and analysis.
- Strong analytical skills, a capacity to write clearly, and excellent organisational and oral communication skills
- A demonstrated capacity for policy advisory or public-affairs work, based on an analytical approach, and an innovative and creative communications ability.
- Project management skills
- Ability to translate research ideas into fundable projects excellent communication abilities in relation to a wide variety of audiences
- Skills in negotiation, listening, communication of ideas, problem solving, decision making
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Time management skills, including managing a complex and varied workload