ALNAP is a global network of NGOs, UN agencies, members of the Red Cross/Crescent Movement, donors, academics, networks and consultants dedicated to learning how to improve response to humanitarian crises. We believe that by improving the quality, availability and use of knowledge and evidence from previous responses we can make the system perform better and be more accountable. To do this, we facilitate learning between our Network Members, host the largest library of evaluations of humanitarian action, carry out original research and host events and conferences.
We are seeking to appoint a Senior Research Officer / Research Fellow to join ALNAP. Under the supervision of the Senior Evaluation Research Fellow, the post holder will contribute to designing and delivering innovative, high-quality and policy-relevant research, policy advice and public-affairs initiatives.
Key roles and responsibilities
You will contribute to and manage policy research and advisory projects with a focus on Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Accountability, engage with humanitarians, M&E practitioners and policymakers in research and advisory processes, and disseminate results. This role has both a research and networking function and will also involve planning international workshops, events, webinars and virtual training. The successful candidate would be expected to conduct and manage research within the areas of evaluation, monitoring, evidential quality, information management and organisational learning for humanitarian action while also meeting needs from the ALNAP memberships and coordinating network activities.
Experience and skills
- A degree and a post-graduate degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent relevant experience in the humanitarian and/ or development sector with relevant M&E experience.
- Knowledge of key humanitarian and development institutions and major humanitarian policy issues
- Strong knowledge of monitoring and evaluation policies and practices, including practical experience conducting M&E work (with a strong preference for experience in M&E in a humanitarian response setting)
- Passionate about improving the performance of humanitarian action
- Experience working in a humanitarian response setting and/or lived experience in a developing country
- Previous experience in an international, regional or national M&E network, policy or research environment, i.e. policy-oriented research and guidance development, demonstrated by publications, reports, etc.
- Experience in event planning, such as previous experience organising webinars, workshops, training, etc
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to negotiate successfully with a wide range of people and cultural awareness.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills
- Strong qualitative and quantitative data analysis skills, with knowledge of statical software and qualitative analysis software (Nvivo, MAXQDA, Eppi-Reviewer, Atlas TI, etc) are highly desirable
- Ability to manage midsize ALNAP research projects
- Strong presentation and networking skills
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) and fluency in a language other than English (particularly Arabic or French) are highly desirable
- Excellent IT skills (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Willingness to travel, which may include overnight and weekends on occasion.
- Ability to work on own initiative and under minimal supervision, to accept responsibility and to respond with confidence to complex and evolving problems.
Expectations for an appointment at the Research Fellow grade
The post of Research Fellow requires substantial research or equivalent experience working on humanitarian MEAL and knowledge management topics, a record of publication and public affairs, and clear evidence of successful development, management and funding of a number of major projects brought to a satisfactory conclusion.
To be appointed as a research fellow candidates should have strong experience managing complex projects and work with stakeholders from across the humanitarian sector. Research fellows are expected to have more in-depth knowledge of humanitarian M&E practices and have substantial experience conducting MEAL research and/or managing humanitarian MEAL teams, with considerable experience conducting or leading M&E work in humanitarian settings.