The Runnymede Trust is the UK’s leading race equality think tank. We generate research to challenge racial inequality in Britain.
For more than 50 years, we have worked tirelessly to build a Britain in which we all belong. Proudly independent, we speak truth to power on race and racism without fear or favour. We are not swayed by political agenda, profit or popular opinion. We are authentic, led by an ethnically diverse team we draw from our lived experience and that of our wide and inclusive community and partnership networks.
We are on an exciting journey in both scale and impact, developing a growing portfolio of projects across a range of thematic areas and using a wide range of research methodologies to generate rich and robust insights.
About the role
The Senior Researcher will support the strategic development and delivery of Runnymede’s research programme, taking ownership of research projects from inception to completion, leading and collaborating with internal research and policy colleagues, and developing impactful external research partnerships.
You will have responsibility for ensuring our research is rigorous and of stellar quality, and ensure wider project efforts are coordinated, budgeted, and delivered to deadlines.
We have an ambition to deliver more quantitative research projects, so the ideal candidate will specialise in quantitative research design and analysis and have a strong understanding of official statistics and data analysis. You will support colleagues, developing their quantitative research skills and be able to integrate data into mixed methods research projects so as to strengthen research outputs.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Use a mixture of quantitative and qualitative methods to lead on delivering research aims, producing reports analysing and interpreting patterns and trends that examine the links between race and outcomes in selected thematic areas.
- Project manage multiple research programmes and partnerships, ensuring collaborative research team activity is planned and delivered effectively and milestones, budgets and reporting requirements are met.
- Lead work with external partners to design and deliver research and associated activities (e.g. research proposals, launch events etc.)
- Lead on regular and strategic communication with external partners or funders to effectively report on research progress and impact.
- Support the Head of Research in developing the strategic direction of Runnymede’s research portfolio and research team capability.
- Lead multiple project teams and line manage Junior/Research Analysts.
- Work with our communications and engagement teams to strategically plan and deliver launch and engagement activities for research projects and programmes.
- Promote equality and diversity values acting as a role model and fostering an inclusive working culture.
- PhD level academic qualification or equivalent research experience gained in a similar institution/role.
- Significant experience of report writing and ability to tailor for different audiences – policymakers, media and for communities.
- Experience working outside academia as an applied researcher.
- Experience of leading collaborative research projects and of managing internal and external stakeholders.
Knowledge and skills
- Knowledge of advanced quantitative research methods, analysis techniques and tools.
- Knowledge of relevant statistics and data sets in order to support mixed methods research.
- Concise and high-level writing and editing skills for publishing work.
- Strong IT and digital literacy including use of statistical software packages such as SPSS.
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to stay organised, and remain resilient when managing a demanding workload.