The South African Institute of International Affairs (SAIIA) is an independent, non-governmental policy research institution, focusing on South Africa and Africa’s international relations. Its goal is to contribute to the achievement of a well-governed, peaceful, economically sustainable and globally engaged Africa. It has been consistently ranked as the top think tank in Southern Africa.
SAIIA seeks to appoint a Senior Researcher in its Economic Diplomacy Programme with specialist expertise on Africa’s regional integration efforts, including the enablers of regional connectivity, macro-economic stability, and greater economic inclusion, and in its engagement with the global economic system. Expertise in Africa’s trade agenda, including the African Continental Free Trade Agreement (AFCFTA), South Africa and Africa’s bilateral trade relations with key external partners and/or engagement within the World Trade Organisation would be an advantage. At least five years of senior research experience on the topic, a publication record in these themes, along with a relevant outstanding post-graduate educational qualification. Excellent writing, research and time management skills are essential, as are computer skills and own transport. This is a senior position with significant research delivery, reporting, project management and fundraising responsibilities.
This position involves travel within Africa and abroad (depending on COVID travel restrictions). The appointment would be for an initial two-year period, with the possibility of extension based on securing additional funding.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Preparing and submitting applications to funders and sponsors for research projects
- Establishing and running innovative research projects on own areas of expertise, in conjunction with other programme staff, and ensuring achievement of deliverables
- Producing written research for publication by SAIIA
- Commissioning work from external researchers and overseeing the publication process
- Undertaking ongoing strategic engagement and networking
- Ensuring events and policy dissemination of work have optimum impact
- Contributing to monitoring, evaluation and programme reporting
- Maintaining relations with programme funders
Experience and skills
- At least a Master’s degree in the relevant field. PhD preferred.
- Proven publishing record and expertise in the above-mentioned fields
- At least five years of relevant experience (as per above) and well-established networks in the aforementioned research areas.
- A proven track record of project fundraising in either the think tank or consultancy environment.
- Proficiency in MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, MS Project).
- Ability to comfortably represent SAIIA with different stakeholders local and global, including policy, advocacy and the media; track record of media interactions desired.
- Ability to think strategically in order to execute and articulate the big picture.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.