The Urban Institute is the trusted source for unbiased, authoritative insights that inform consequential choices about the well-being of people and places in the United States. We are a nonprofit research organization that believes decisions shaped by facts, rather than ideology, have the power to improve public policy and practice, strengthen communities, and transform people’s lives for the better.
Our experts diagnose current challenges and look ahead to identify opportunities for change. And we don’t stop there. We use our research findings to help stakeholders craft relevant solutions and strategies that address today’s concerns and avert tomorrow’s roadblocks. And we share our insights in real time with influencers eager to make smarter decisions.
The Urban Institute’s Executive Office seeks a policy-curious staffer to work with the president and executive team to support the advancement of Urban’s mission, new programs, and management and operations.
The ideal candidate will have at least 2-3 years of experience providing executive support in a fast-paced office environment and a strong curiosity in all areas of policy. The candidate will also be an adept and detail-oriented assistant to the president and experience working collaboratively with staff across all divisions to accomplish Institute priorities.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Manage the president’s daily business by scheduling internal and external meetings, and proactively ensuring that meetings and appointments stay on time; compiling the president’s daily briefing book of meeting materials, and prompting materials, as needed; tracking priorities and to dos; and preparing and filing expense reports.
- Represent the president by screening and reviewing correspondence and addressing questions and meeting requests directed to the president.
- Track and manage correspondence for the president by prioritizing and appropriately flagging for action.
- Draft correspondence and support the execution of communications and engagement including emails, briefing memos, and various other communications from the president to internal and external stakeholders.
- Track relevant social media pertaining to the president’s portfolio and draft daily social media posts.
- Arrange travel and meetings; develop itineraries, meeting logistics and agendas.
- Complete discrete special assignments by establishing objectives; determining priorities; managing time; gaining cooperation of others; monitoring progress; problem-solving; adjusting plans.
Experience and skills
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree and 2-3 years of progressively responsible executive support experience ideally working with c-level executives and board members in a fast-paced office setting
- Express an insatiable appetite for public policy questions and curiosity about research
- Take initiative and possess excellent communications skills to ensure solutions and interactions are consistent with organization objectives
- Manage numerous requests/deliverables simultaneously with the expectation of multiple and changing priorities
- Display excellent and versatile writing skills including the ability to compose superior formal business correspondence and other professional documents
- Maintain strong customer service skills; exhibit exceptional interpersonal skills and judgment under stress and deadlines
- Demonstrate commitment to principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Exercise a high level of confidentiality as well as strict level of confidentiality and use professional judgment and discretion
- Demonstrate proficiency in performing a variety of complex administrative work.
- Please note all applications must include a cover letter to be considered.