Al-Shabaka: The Palestinian Policy Network, is an independent, non-partisan, and non-profit organization whose mission is to educate and foster public debate on Palestinian human rights and self-determination within the framework of international law. Al-Shabaka, which means “The Network” in Arabic, is a think tank without borders or walls that aims to:
- Draw upon the vast knowledge and experience of the Palestinian people, whether under occupation, in exile, or in Israel, so as to engage the broadest spectrum of perspectives in the debate on policy and strategy.
- Communicate ideas and strategies on resolving the Palestinian-Israeli conflict to Palestinian communities as well as to Arab and other policy communities and interested parties worldwide.
Al-Shabaka provides a platform for diverse Palestinian viewpoints while upholding the principles of self-determination, freedom, justice, and equality. Our analysts work individually or in groups to produce well-documented analysis that addresses strategic issues in key areas, including politics, economics, refugees, and civil society.
Al-Shabaka is seeking a consultant (individual or team) to facilitate and produce our forthcoming strategic plan.
Key roles and responsibilities
We operate on three-year strategic cycles, with our next cycle running from 2023 through 2025. The consultant will lead the organization in the strategic planning process for this forthcoming cycle, culminating in a finalized strategic plan document that reflects our mission-aligned aims, objectives, and activities for 2023-2025.
The selected consultant will facilitate the strategic planning process, with engagement from the staff, board, and key stakeholders. As our team is entirely remote-based across different continents, the majority of the planning process will take place online, apart from one in-person 3-4 day retreat (location TBD, COVID restrictions permitting).
Experience and skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Palestinian context and movement for Palestinian liberation
- Minimum 5-10 years of previous strategic planning experience, particularly with justice-based groups and/or independent think tanks
- Expertise with various analytical tools, stakeholder engagement methods, and workshop facilitation
- Prior experience utilizing participatory methodologies, power analysis, and liberatory frameworks in facilitation processes
- Strong project management skills
- Fluency in English required (written and spoken); fluency in Arabic is an asset
- Please note that we are a remote-based organization with team members based across multiple continents. While the consultant may be based in any location, they should be able to reasonably accommodate those working in time zones from the US East Coast to Palestine.
Please submit a proposed budget as part of your application.