We are Nesta. The UK’s innovation agency for social good. We design, test and scale new solutions to society’s biggest problems, changing millions of lives for the better. We confront challenges that affect millions of people, from chronic childhood inequality to ill-health and the climate crisis.
We believe that innovation is more possible now than ever before. We see opportunities to mobilise citizens and influence behaviour. A wealth of private and public capital that can be used more creatively. Pools of data to mine. And so we draw on these rich resources by bringing together multidisciplinary teams: data scientists, designers and behavioural scientists, practitioners at the frontline, academics; and people with lived experience.
Together, we design, test and scale new solutions to society’s biggest problems. We partner with frontline organisations, build new businesses and work to change whole systems. Harnessing the rigour of science and the creativity of design, we work relentlessly to put ideas to the test.
Are you a proactive, analytical and collaborative problem-solver with significant experience of leading work on organisational strategy, either through management consultancy, or through an internal strategy role? Looking for an exciting and highly rewarding new career opportunity?
If so, Nesta is looking for a Strategy Manager/Senior Strategy Manager to become a core member of our Strategy Unit and play an important role in helping the organisation develop and ultimately to achieve its key Missions.
Key roles and responsibilities
Working in close collaboration with your colleagues in the Strategy Unit, and beyond, as the Strategy Manager/Senior Strategy Manager you will help to deliver on our new strategy, which sets an exciting and ambitious goal: that by 2030, Nesta will have significantly improved the lives of millions of people. Combining rigour and creativity, we will be a world leader in driving innovation for social good.
To help us achieve this, you will be expected to lead and contribute to discrete projects that will range in size and likely include helping clarify or revisit elements of Nesta’s strategy, internal planning and coordination; helping identify and deliver improvements in organisational functioning; as well as potential external-looking engagements to help Nesta respond to an ever-evolving external landscape. You will also be expected to:
- Coach or supervise the work of another member of the team
- Help to define a problem-solving method for the Strategy Unit
- Help the Strategy Unit develop a view on Nesta’s overall organisational health and performance
- Play a key role in executing future organisation-wide strategy refreshes and in the Unit’s development
Experience and skills
- You will have strong experience of project-based problem-solving and leading projects to resolve complex, multi-faceted problems with senior stakeholders. You will also be able to coach others in the team and to apply your experience and knowledge of strategy effectively to Nesta’s context.
- A natural relationship-builder with impressive analytical skills, you must be an outstanding communicator, with a proven record of delivering high-quality written and verbal outputs and a demonstrated ability to synthesise complex issues into clear and concise messages.
- At Nesta, we believe that a diverse workforce leads to an organisation that is more innovative, more creative and gets better results.
- We want our workforce to represent the diversity of the people and communities we serve. We also want our workplace to be one where different experiences, expertise and perspectives are valued, and where everyone is encouraged to grow and develop.
- This means that when we are recruiting, we actively seek to reach a diverse pool of candidates. It also means that we are happy to consider any reasonable adjustments that potential employees may need to in order to be successful.
- We recognise the importance of a good balance between work and home life, so we do everything we can to accommodate flexible working, including working from home, compressed or part-time hours, job shares and other arrangements.
- Please just let us know in your application or at any stage throughout the process (and beyond) if these are options you would like to explore.