United Nations University Centre for Policy Research in New York is an independent think tank within the United Nations system. The Centre combines research excellence with deep knowledge of the multilateral system to generate innovative solutions to current and future global public policy challenges.
The Centre comprises social and data scientists and UN practitioners. It has a successful track record of international partnerships, and has launched pioneering work in several thematic areas, including modern slavery, human trafficking, forced labour and child labour (Sustainable Development Goals Target 8.7).
UNU-CPR is looking for a committed and enterprising Sustainable Finance Analyst to contribute to the Finance Against Slavery and Trafficking (FAST) initiative’s outreach and engagement with the financial sector ranging from banks, insurance companies, digital finance providers, investors, and audit firms.
Key roles and responsibilities
The Sustainable Finance Analyst will report to the FAST Project Director and will be expected to:
- Contribute to the implementation of the FAST programme of work related to the financial sector and investors, building on existing initiatives and ensuring future activities align with donor priorities;
- Collaborate with other members of the FAST project team, including the Workstream Leads for the Government and Multilateral sectors and Vulnerable Populations, to leverage insights;
- Plan, design and implement collective learning activities for financial actors focused on risk, due diligence, supply chains, leverage, insurance, auditing, among others;
- Produce and disseminate targeted insights for financial sector actors to support embedding anti-slavery and anti-human trafficking approaches in financial sector practice;
- Design and execute trainings on modern slavery and human trafficking risks for e.g. banks, institutional investors, auditors, insurance, stock exchange personnel;
- Co-develop screening, compliance and risk analysis tools for the financial sector to address modern slavery risks;
- Contribute to authoritative evidenced-based policy reports, recommendations, editorials, and other publications that advance FAST objectives;
- Organize and participate in meetings and conferences that support FAST outreach, coalition-building and the dissemination of findings, including an annual implementation review conference.
Experience and skills
- Master’s degree in business administration, finance, law, political science, international relations, human rights or public policy. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree; Minimum of 3 years (5 preferable) of relevant work experience in or with the finance sector;
- Demonstrable experience promoting environmental, social and governance (ESG) and/or Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiatives;
- Knowledge of issues in the areas of ESG, sustainable finance, business and human rights, ideally in the context of modern slavery (including human trafficking, child labour and forced labour);
- Excellent analytical and conceptual thinking;
- Exceptional interpersonal and problem-solving skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity and gender parity;
- Excellent English-language oral and written communication skills; knowledge of another official UN language(s) is desirable;
- Familiarity with statistics, data analysis and research methodologies is advantageous.
Other useful evidence
Annual net salary in the range of USD 85,000 to USD 95,000, commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the candidate. Benefits include 30 days annual leave and a health insurance scheme.
At UNU-CPR, we value creativity, curiosity, openness, and respect. The Centre is an inclusive environment welcoming of diversity, where personnel are encouraged to share experiences and perspectives, and support colleagues that challenge the status quo. It is an empowering space that offers all personnel, irrespective of status or background, the opportunity to innovate and enrich our shared community.