Third Way is a national think tank that champions modern center-left ideas.
Our work is grounded in the mainstream American values of opportunity, freedom, and security. But we identify as center-left, because we see that space in U.S. politics as offering the only real path for advancing those ideals in the century ahead.
Our agenda is ambitious, aspirational, and actionable. It is built on the bedrock belief that for political movements to succeed in our political system, they must relentlessly re-imagine their policies, strategies, and coalitions.
We are fighting for opportunity, so everyone has the chance to earn a good life; progress on social issues, so all have the freedom to live the lives they choose; and security, so we are protected from 21st century global threats.
Third Way is seeking a Temporary Research Assistant to provide support for Third Way’s political department as part of our Social Policy & Politics team. This Research Assistant will be responsible for helping to track, catalog, and analyze Republican attacks on frontline Democratic House Members from the 2020 cycle as well as the upcoming 2022 cycle. This work will directly advance Third Way’s political objectives and help shape the organization’s efforts both in DC and nationally as we head into the midterms and beyond.
Key roles and responsibilities
As the Temporary Research Assistant, a typical day might include…
- Watching television ads from candidates, party committees, and outside groups to track themes, topics, and messages;
- Searching and compiling public opinion research from other organizations and news outlets;
- Exporting and cataloging financial data from the FEC regarding campaign spending;
- Researching historical elections that provide insight on a Democratic President’s first midterm such as 1994 & 2010;
- Writing internal memos for senior staff that concisely explain your research and participating in meetings to discuss its implications; and,
- Performing other duties as assigned.
**Please note all duties and meetings will be completed virtually.
Experience and skills
This might be the job for you, if you…
- Either have a bachelor’s or associate’s degree or are in the process of obtaining such a degree OR at least a minimum of one to two years of relevant experience in political or campaign research;
- Are familiar with federal politics and the intricacies of political campaigns;
- Have excellent attention to detail and comfort with multi-tasking;
- Have knowledge of Zoom and other virtual platforms;
- Want to contribute towards Third Way’s mission;
- Take pride in and ownership of your work;
- Are curious and eager for professional development;
- Think on your feet and adapt to changes effortlessly;
- Communicate clearly and effectively in writing and verbally;
- Are motivated and driven by your passion for opportunity, freedom, and security; and,
- Want to make a difference and an imprint as Third Way’s newest Temporary Research Assistant.
Other useful information
In the Third Way Culture, we are looking for…
–Self-starters: People who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and will bring a sustained passion for our mission.
–Collaborators: People who work in teams—sharing ideas, brainstorming, co-authoring products, and advancing its shared priorities.
–Creators: People who fosters divergent thinking; that aren’t afraid to take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right. Team members come up with original insights, find unique ways to look at data, and challenge their preconceptions.
–Results-oriented: People who function with an organizational commitment to clear objectives, ambitious timelines, accountability for results, and a focus on impact.
–Respectful: People who embrace the diverse perspectives of everyone and fosters the values of diversity, equity, and inclusiveness at all times.
This is a part-time temporary position (June-August), and we are ideally looking for someone who can work 16-24 hours a week. The hourly rate for this temporary position is $16/hr.
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports, and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.