The Center for American Progress is an independent, nonpartisan policy institute that is dedicated to improving the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action. Our aim is not just to change the conversation, but to change the country.
Reporting to the Deputy Chief Development Officer, the Vice President of Development is a key member and leader of the development team. They will be responsible for leading the Individual Giving team, work closely with the CDO on board recruitment, and manage a portfolio of 75 six-figure donors and prospects while leading and overseeing the management of the Individual Giving team. This position is ideal for a dynamic, results-driven, and well-organized development leader who is committed to a progressive policy agenda and to CAP’s mission: to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.
Other key responsibilities include:
- Enhance unrestricted funding while generating new programmatic funding
- Serve as a key leader on the development team and successfully balance (at times) a rigorous travel schedule meeting with potential and current funders
- Serve the role of coach, mentor, and leader of the Individual Giving staff
- Establish credibility on the development team as an effective developer of solutions to business challenges Develop, lead, attract, inspire, retain, and manage a diverse, talented, and high-performing team, to ensure that the mission and core values of CAP are put into practice by holding everyone accountable for quantifiable high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results
- Guide staff in their respective areas of functional expertise
- Engage staff in strategic operations and execution through responsive and transparent communication and leadership
- Perform other duties as assigned
In addition, this position will support CAP’s five cross cutting priorities:
- Strengthening Public Health
- Building an Economy for All
- Securing a Sustainable Climate
- Advancing Racial Equity and Justice
- Restoring Social Trust and Strengthening Democracy
The development team works with program staff at both the Center for American Progress, a 501(c)(3) organization, and the Center for American Progress Action Fund, a 501(c)(4) organization, to fundraise for support for CAP’s priorities and bold progressive agenda.