This report focuses on key questions on think tank funders, their rationales for funding think tanks, the trajectory of funding, and issues suggested for further discussion by stakeholders.
The main goal of this report is to provide a catalogue of relevant funders and their strategic rationales for supporting think tanks, as well as their future plans. A particular emphasis is placed on identifying new or previously unknown funders. Finally, the report also surfaces issues from funders as they consider their future strategies.
The key questions that the report addresses are:
- Which funders support think tanks in developing countries across the world, across a region, or in multiple countries?
- How do think tanks fit in funders’ strategies and theories of change, and what are their selection criteria?
- How do these funders fund think tanks?
- What has been the trajectory of funding, and what is the direction of future support?
- What are some of the top concerns and issues?
- This report was commissioned by the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation in 2017, in collaboration with the Think Tank Initiative.