The Center for American Progress is an independent, nonpartisan policy institute that is dedicated to improving the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action. Our aim is not just to change the conversation, but to change the country.
Reporting to the President & CEO, the Chief Development Officer (CDO) is a member of the Executive Leadership team and will have overall responsibility for leading the development operation and staff. The CDO will develop an audacious development plan and fundraising strategy for the Center for American Progress. They will work closely with the CEO on board engagement and manage a portfolio of seven-figure prospects while leading and overseeing the management of the development team. This position is ideal for a dynamic, results-driven, and well-organized development leader who is committed to a progressive policy agenda and to CAP’s mission: to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.
Other key responsibilities include:
- Lead a development team of 17 fundraisers and support staff to help them reach their combined goal of $50M annually
- Support the President & CEO with board engagement, management, and recruitment
- Carry a portfolio seven-figure prospects
- Ensure that strategies are clearly understood by all stakeholders and that the development office is achieving its strategic goals at an optimum pace
- Enhance unrestricted funding while generating new programmatic funding
- Serve as the Chief Fundraiser for the organization and successfully balance (at times) a rigorous travel schedule meeting with potential and current funders Serve the role of coach, mentor, and leader of the development staff
- Establish credibility throughout the organization and with the President & CEO as an effective developer of solutions to business challenges
- Develop, lead, attract, inspire, retain, and manage a diverse, talented, and high-performing team, to ensure that the mission and core values of CAP are put into practice by holding everyone accountable for quantifiable high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results
- Guide staff in their respective areas of functional expertise Engage staff in strategic operations and execution through responsive and transparent communication and leadership Perform other duties as assigned
In addition, this position will support CAP’s five cross cutting priorities:
- Strengthening Public Health
- Building an Economy for All
- Securing a Sustainable Climate
- Advancing Racial Equity
- Justice Restoring Social Trust and Strengthening Democracy
The development team works with program staff at both the Center for American Progress, a 501(c)(3) organization, and the Center for American Progress Action Fund, a 501(c)(4) organization, to fundraise for support for CAP’s priorities and bold progressive agenda. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees. American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique. For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.