EIP is a global working group that seeks out and incubates high-impact strategies to improve institutional decision-making around the world.
The Chief of Staff/COO will serve as a critical partner and right hand to EIP’s executive director while taking leadership responsibility for core operations and driving EIP’s network growth and reach. The work is fast-paced and highly varied, reflecting EIP’s young history and ambitious mission.
The position carries with it tremendous potential for professional growth and impact as the organization matures and continues to build out its capabilities.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Oversee and implement EIP’s organizational growth strategy, helping to attract the resources and talent necessary to deliver on the organization’s ambitious goals
- Create opportunities to expand EIP’s reach by sourcing new funders and talent partners who may be interested in using our research to make an impact
- Ensure strong communication and feedback loops both within the organization and with external stakeholders, routing requests efficiently and ensuring that no balls get dropped
- Oversee HR functions for the organization, helping to shape a positive working environment and ensuring team members have what they need to realize success in their roles
- Ensure that EIP’s workstreams are adequately staffed with employees, contractors, and volunteers as appropriate, and personally step in when needed to ensure that milestones get delivered on schedule –
- Oversee all other aspects of business operations for EIP’s small team, including digital infrastructure, security, event logistics, contracting, payments, and compliance
- Contribute ideas and informed opinions to EIP’s own institutional growth and development; pilot and document innovative decision-making and management practices Occasional domestic and international travel is required.
Experience and skills
Our ideal candidate will have most if not all of the following:
- Passion for EIP’s mission and the possibilities inherent in realizing its potential Lots of entrepreneurial energy and the ability to execute complex initiatives with minimal supervision.
- High standards for professionalism and a commitment to representing the organization well at all times.
- Clear verbal and written communication, with the ability to tailor communication styles effectively to a wide range of audiences.
- Excellent organizational skills, reliability, and attention to detail.
- At least three years of work experience in a relevant role that includes raising revenue for a mission-driven enterprise and stewarding high-stakes relationships with key stakeholders.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and a proven record of growing successful organizations (required for placement at the COO level).
In addition, the following strengths are appreciated but not required:
- Past experience working for or with one or more of the top-ranked institutions identified in EIP’s most recent landscape analysis.
- Content knowledge about international relations, macroeconomics, organizational psychology, institutional design, or other relevant fields.
- Fluency in at least one other language besides English – Graphic/visual design skills.
- Experience in website development and/or maintenance.
If you’re excited about this role but are unsure if you fit the criteria, we would love to have you apply anyway.