The Institute for Social Policy and Understanding is seeking a driven and passionate executive to lead the organisation in the next phase of its journey. This is a unique opportunity for an emotionally intelligent executive to lead a dynamic and dedicated team.
Brief description of organisation
The Institute for Social Policy and Understanding (ISPU) is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that envisions an America where Muslims, alongside all Americans, are thriving and equal. And we believe that relevant, rigorous research in the right hands will help us get there. To this end we conduct and widely share objective research about American Muslims that supports well-informed dialogue and decision-making. Unique in its field, ISPU has built up a strong reputation as the go-to resource for information, insight and analysis on American Muslims and issues impacting them. Our work educates the general public and equips advocates, policy makers, journalists, educators, and more to do their work smarter and more effectively. Please explore www.ispu.org to learn more.
Brief description of role
Having built a strong body of research over 20+ years, and amidst increasing demand for further research and dissemination, the right candidate will be stepping into an impactful, and well-regarded organization primed for growth. With an award-winning Board of Directors in place, this is an excellent opportunity for a driven, and passionate nonprofit executive to help take ISPU to the next level. The right candidate will be a strong communicator and have a clear track record of successful resource development for nonprofit organizations.
Key roles and responsibilities
The Executive Director is responsible for leading, directing, and managing all aspects of ISPU’s work as well as its overall strategy, growth, and external representation. This includes:
- Overall leadership and organizational management
- Resource development
- Board relations and governance
- Financial management
The Executive Director will also lead an all-virtual team of 11 full-time and one part-time employees. They will maintain and prioritise our very positive work culture. They will lead an executive ream made up of four members and will manage an annual budget of $1.6m.
Experience and skills
The Executive Director must have:
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience leading an organization, department, or major project with a $1-$5 million annual budget at a non-profit, policy, or research organization, or in business or academia.
- Proven success in growing an organization and building effective partnerships.
- A track record of successful fundraising and enthusiasm for fundraising and external relations, including demonstrated ability to identify and solicit major individual and institutional gifts and familiarity with foundations and grant making process.
- Outstanding communication skills and a strong executive presence, with the ability to inspire and engage as a presenter and in writing.
- The ability to think strategically and programmatically and successfully manage diverse operations.
- The capacity to build strong and collaborative teams, encourage communication, excellence and accountability.
- Strong business acumen with experience overseeing financial management, including budget development and accountability measures. Familiarity with Islam and Muslim culture, and with the American Muslim community.
- Ability to travel nationwide (30-35%).