On Think Tanks is looking for a full-time Associate to help develop and deliver OTT’s work on Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) for organisations who generate, communicate, use and fund evidence on matters of public interest.
OTT is a global consultancy and platform for change. We support and strengthen the work of research organisations, foundations, governments and others in support of better-informed decision making.
Through our consultancy work, we develop tailored solutions to specific challenges. With services spanning research, learning facilitation, strategy development and refresh and monitoring, learning and evaluation, we partner with organisations to drive evidence-informed change.
Through On Think Tanks we build, nurture and support a global community of people working in, with, and funding policy research. On Think Tanks is a space to learn, reflect, imagine, connect and take action.
Both our consulting and community work has public good at its heart.
OTT is a fully remote organisation. We have a small team of around 10 full-time staff and associates working across four continents.
About the role
We are looking for a full-time Associate to help develop and deliver OTT’s work on Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) for organisations who generate, communicate, use and fund evidence on matters of public interest. Examples of recent projects include:
- Developing MEL frameworks for the Open Society Foundations’ initiatives.
- Undertaking a review of lessons learned by the Oak Foundation’s fellowship portfolio.
- Undertaking a consultation of the Luminate Foundation’s grantees to inform its new strategy.
- Evaluating the Hewlett Foundation’s transparency, participation and accountability grantmaking strategy.
- Designing a grantee-focused learning approach for the Laudes Foundation.
- Evaluating the International Development Research Centre’s strategic objective to scale research results.
The Associate will have the opportunity to inform the policies and decisions of global foundations, bilateral and multilateral organisations, international NGOs, think tanks and government agencies, and to engage in national and international debates on evidence-informed decision making.
The Associate will be line managed by Enrique Mendizabal (OTT Director) and work closely with Paula Martinez (Business Development Officer), Fiorella Bianchi (Finance and Planning Director), Louise Ball (Communications Director), Emily Hayter (Senior Associate – Evidence Use), Estefanía Terán (Senior Associate – Evidence Generation and Communication ), Jessica Correa (Programme and Projects Manager), and OTT’s wider team of associates, consultants and partners.
- Portfolio development: Take the lead in developing and delivering a plan for developing our MEL practice – including building a portfolio and team. You will be responsible for setting objectives and developing a plan to achieve them.
- Business development: Search for new project opportunities, contacting funders and clients, lead and contribute to the development of concept notes, proposals, budgets and expressions of interest. We are keen to maintain a good balance between proactively developing initiatives based on our own understanding of the challenges and opportunities in the field, and responding to calls for proposals from clients.
- Project delivery and support: Lead the delivery of projects and join teams or provide specific technical inputs to ongoing projects, including time and budget management – this may include overseas travel.
- Knowledge synthesis and development: Proactively contribute to the generation of original content, sharing knowledge and learning from across OTT’s work.
- Communications and outreach: Engage with OTT audiences through our multiple channels and spaces, including social media, blogs, webinars and the OTT Talks podcast series. We expect you to seek opportunities to represent OTT in relevant international fora and spaces.
- Community and team building: Actively contribute towards building OTT’s community of associates and consultants – you will be responsible for building and sustaining consultants to support you in MEL projects. Always seeking opportunities to work across the team.
We are looking for individuals with an entrepreneurial drive. OTT supports its Associates and the development of their ideas – but we expect them to be in the driving seat.
We are looking for someone who is strategic, has practical research and/or evaluation experience, is an excellent communicator and can work collaboratively within a fully remote team.
Key skills and competencies:
- Graduate degree in a relevant discipline.
- 10+ years working in or towards a similar role and with the relevant stakeholders.
- Strong strategic thinking and capabilities – associates will be called to play a strategic role within OTT and in individual projects.
- Extensive knowledge of key issues and organisations in the fields of international development and/or evidence-informed policymaking.
- Knowledge of monitoring, evaluation and learning methods and approaches relevant to the field of evidence-informed policy, policy influence, and organisational, social and political change (e.g., Outcome Mapping, Outcome Harvesting, Most Significant Change).
- Experience of field/empirical research in a variety of settings, as well as primary and secondary data collection and analysis.
- Strong analytical skills – we are looking for someone who can incorporate political, economic and social elements into their analyses.
- Excellent communication and writing skills, for a variety of audiences including for fundraising and business development purposes (e.g. concise, succinct, and clear)
- Proven ability to translate research and evaluation ideas into fundable projects.
- Skills in negotiation, listening, communication of ideas, problem solving, decision making.
- Ability to work as part of a team and ability to work independently and remotely.
- Strong multitasking and project management skills. Specifically, time management skills, including managing a complex and varied workload and its corresponding budget.
- Excellent IT skills (Word, Excel, Power Point plus survey and qualitative/quantitative research software is ideal).
- Fluent in English and competency in other languages. Fluency in a language other than English (e.g., French) would be desirable.
- Experience in producing high-quality research outputs for different audiences.
- Experience working in a think tank, a policy research institute or a consultancy.
- Experience writing successful bids in response to requests for proposals from foundations, bilateral and multilateral agencies, NGOs, etc. and developing fundable projects.
- Experience developing their own projects and programmes and successfully raising funds to deliver them.
- Self-motivated, proactive and independent worker. We are looking for candidates with an entrepreneurship spirit and approach who wants to join our social impact ambition.
- Critical thinking and thought leadership.
- Able to multitask, manage and prioritise competing deadlines.
- Able to manage time and resources efficiently.
- Able to work and get along with a diverse set of individuals.
- A commitment to OTT’s mission.
- An interest in contributing to the growth of OTT and the field by promoting new initiatives.
- A positive disposition to engage with policy research funders, policymakers, thinktankers and think tank leaders from all parts of the world.
Terms of employment
- Hours: Full-time (flexible working hours)
- Salary: £35,000-£45,000 GBP depending on experience; consideration to be given for Senior Associate role at £46,000-£55,000 GBP, based on experience.
- Please note that OTT is a UK based company, for UK residents this would be a salaried position; for non-UK residents the post may be in the form of a long-term consultancy contract depending on the legislation of your country of residence. Where possible OTT will seek to equate the benefits that UK based staff receive.
- Contract type: Fixed, 1 year, with option to renew.
To apply, please submit your application by 21 December. You will be asked to provide:
- Your CV in PDF (3 pages maximum)
- A cover letter outlining your relevant experience and skills (2 pages maximum)
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed and asked to complete a simple task. Successful candidates will be asked to provide two references.
Diversity and inclusion
At OTT we value diversity. We are a southern led global initiative. We encourage applicants from all over the world and will not discriminate on the basis of anything other than the candidate’s ability to do the job.