The Policy Center for the New South (PCNS) is a Moroccan think tank whose mission is to contribute to the improvement of the economic and social public policies that challenge, at the beginning of the century, Morocco and the rest of the African continent as integral parts of the global South.
The PCNS advocates for the concept of an open, accountable and enterprising “new South”; a South that defines its own narratives as well as mental maps around the basins of the Mediterranean and the South Atlantic, as part of an forward-looking relationship with the rest of the world. The think tank aims to support, through its analytical endeavours, the development of public policies in Africa, and to give the floor to the experts of the South on the developments that concern them. This positioning, focused on dialogue and partnerships of different origins, is to cultivate African expertise and excellence, able to contribute to the diagnosis and overcoming of the challenges that arise across the continent and the world.
Policy Center for the New South is seeking a rigorous and conscientious individual to provide research support to the think Tank’s experts in Economics. This is an entry level position and duties and positions evolve according to seniority and experience.
Research assistants undertake research and analytical support, writing, and/or statistical assistance, participate in the analysis, communication, and presentation of research findings. Policy Center for the New South’s Research Assistants have excellent communication and writing skills, substantial experience in statistical analysis tools, and are used to team work.
Knowledge of global economy issues required, including a special interest in macroeconomics, the importance of monetary and fiscal policies, drivers of growth in developing and developed economies, and international trade and finance.
Key roles and responsibilities
- In collaboration with senior research staff, draft material summarizing research results on specific topics as assigned, for incorporation into working papers and project publications;
- Provide analytical reviews and summaries of existing literature pertinent to the projects;
- Locate and collect relevant documents and data from sources such as electronic databases libraries, and government publications;
- Compile, read, abstract, and organize written material into bibliographic form and summaries;
- Contribute to analytical work produced by experts, to the blog and globally to all publications;
- Maintain electronic bibliography files;
- Assist with special projects and perform other duties as assigned.
Web Content/Internet Search:
- Update web pages in support of the expert’s areas of interest;
- Conduct Internet searches for related information to support documentation presented in related Web Pages;
- Write and edit summaries to be posted on pages relating to expert’s work.
- In addition to tasks specific to research, research assistants are frequently invited to provide assistance for the organization of meetings and conferences related to the fellows’ work and projects.
Experience and skills
- Masters degree in Economics or Mathematics/ Statistics with a minor in Economics required;
- Or equivalent: Bachelor degree in similar fields and two-years job experience in economics and/or computer modeling;
- Competence to undertake research assignments with little supervision required;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Strong foundation in statistical methods and analysis of quantitative data;
- Excellent time management and ability to organize, meet deadlines, and multitask;
- Experience working with statistical/data analysis tools;
- Fluency in English and French language (reading, speaking, and writing) is required.