APRI – Africa Policy Research Institute is a Berlin-based, independent, non-partisan policy institute researching key policy issues affecting the African continent. APRI has three main program areas: economy & society, technology, and climate change. The objective of the climate change program is to support policymakers in their efforts to balance addressing the climate crisis with goals of sustainable economic growth and job creation for the youngest populations in the world.
The Senior Fellow will lead the institute’s Africa’s Climate Agenda Program by building on and expanding the work APRI has done in 2021 in the space. They will leverage the existing network to anchor the program and lead in providing policy recommendations and engaging with the public. They will also be responsible for further defining the research agenda of the program.
Key roles and responsibilities
Core responsibilities include fundraising, providing insightful, high-quality analysis with clear policy implications, coordinating the institute’s public and private dialogues on climate change and Africa, and making media appearances.
Experience and skills
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience
- Graduate degree in a relevant field
- Deep knowledge of climate change issues as they affect Africa; competence in climate diplomacy desired
- Excellent analytical skills including the ability to work with datasets
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to present complex ideas in accessible language
- Commitment to raise and prioritize Africa’s needs in international climate policy discussions
- Ability to comfortably represent APRI with different stakeholders local and global, including policy, advocacy and the media; track record of media interactions desired
- Ability to think strategically in order to execute and articulate the big picture
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; working knowledge of French and/or German desired.
Other useful information
TVöD 14 (German public sector scale) with full benefits