Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan research and education organization that explores and illuminates America’s changing cultural, religious, and political landscape. PRRI’s mission is to help journalists, scholars, pundits, thought leaders, and the general public better understand American public opinion and behavior, and the important cultural and religious dynamics shaping American society and politics.
PRRI is seeking an experienced leader to oversee the day-to-day internal management of the organization. As PRRI grows, the Chief of Staff will be responsible for building the necessary systems and infrastructure for organizational efficiency and sustainability. This position will work closely with the CEO and collaboratively with PRRI’s talented team of research, communications, and programmatic professionals to provide the resources and support needed to achieve their goals. In addition, the Chief of Staff will oversee the organization’s human resources, technology, and financial administration.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Cross-Departmental Coordination: Coordinate work between PRRI’s research, communications and external affairs, and development departments to ensure organizational priorities, goals, and deadlines are met.
- Staff meetings and communication: Plan and facilitate staff meetings and communications to ensure effective information sharing and decision-making
- Operational efficiency: Evaluate and revise internal systems, policies, and procedures to promote best practices and improve operational performance
- Organization development and culture: Engage with the President and senior team to manage current and future organizational structure and cultural change
- Human Resources strategy: Work with the senior team to ensure that all decisions related to staff hiring, management, performance, compensation, professional development, and retention are thoughtfully considered
- Financial management: Manage the organization’s finances including budgeting, reporting, and compliance
- Information Technology: Ensure employees have the necessary technology resources for their work and address issues as they arrive
- Board engagement: Support President in preparing agenda and materials for Board meetings; communicate with Board
Experience and skills
- Proven leadership experience managing the operations and administration of an organization or large department
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement policies, processes, and systems to optimize an organization’s operational efficiency
- Track record of managing teams and balancing competing priorities and resources across teams
- Exceptional oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Self-motivated and ability to thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Creative, adaptive, problem-solving skills
- Collaborative working style with an ability to build consensus