The Migration Policy Institute (MPI), a nonpartisan, nonprofit think tank dedicated to the study of U.S. and international migration, seeks a highly motivated, exceptionally creative, and deadline-oriented editor and writer to become Editor of the Migration Information Source, MPI’s internationally recognized online journal. The Source is a unique publication that melds the best features of migration scholarship and policy/data analysis in ways that are newsy and accessible for readers who are interested in migration but not necessarily specialists.
The Editor will be responsible for all facets of production of the Source, which publishes articles online and promotes them via a bimonthly e-newsletter. The successful candidate will be able to craft and implement a strong editorial vision for the Source, identifying topics and cultivating authors who can best tell some of the most interesting and important developments in migration research, policy, and trends around the world. He or she will demonstrate superb editing skills (organizational, copy-editing, and fact checking), with a strong aptitude for translating academic- or policy-focused research for general-interest audiences; and will have demonstrated marketing and social media skills to promote the Source and its work in innovative and effective ways.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Identification of interesting, timely, and important coverage topics and development of an editorial vision and long-term editorial calendar; this involves keeping abreast of international migration research and developments on migration policy happening around the world
- Recruitment of researchers and academics who can write on the desired topics, working closely with them from conception of the piece through publication to achieve an article that is accessible to a non-specialist audience
- High-quality substantive, organizational, and copy-editing as well as fact-checking of Source articles, using Chicago Manual of Style. Creation of figures and other graphics to illustrate articles
- Development of a creative marketing plan to promote Source articles to journalists, bloggers, other influencers, and interested publics via social media and other platforms, as well as to grow the Source’s subscriber base
- Preparing bimonthly Source e-newsletter for publication and disseminating it, using MPI’s constituent relationship management database
- Researching and writing short editor’s notes for the Source e-newsletter
- Posting Source articles to the MPI website
- On occasion, work with MPI’s Communications team on other deliverables.
Experience and skills
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in public policy, journalism, or social sciences, with 3-5 years’ experience editing and/or writing in newsroom, academic journal, think tank, or similar environment
- Demonstrated ability to develop a strong editorial vision and implement it; initiative and creativity are highly valued
- Superlative editing, writing, and rewriting skills (finalists will be asked to complete an editing exercise)
- Strong ability to handle multiple assignments, prioritize, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment; ability to work well independently highly valued
- Experience crafting social media and marketing campaigns
- Visual storytelling experience (data visualization or graphic design expertise a strong plus)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Adobe CS Suite (Illustrator in particular)
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- International migration knowledge highly valued, as is broad familiarity with related global issues, including development, human rights, and international organizations
- Experience with online publishing, and knowledge of content management systems
- Chicago Manual of Style knowledge
- Content management system knowledge (Drupal a plus) and basic HTML skills
- International experience.