The Adam Smith Institute is one of Westminster’s most prominent think tanks, making a positive, optimistic case for free markets and neoliberalism in print and broadcast media.
We are currently recruiting for the Head of External Affairs to manage the Institute’s external communications with key stakeholders, partner organisations, media organisations, head up the Institute’s development programme and fundraising activity on key projects in the United Kingdom and overseas.
We’re looking for someone who’s interested in politics and economics, is committed to the ASI’s free market liberal principles, and who has a career background in fundraising, media, and communications.
You must be able to write well, without needing proofreading, and be skilled at working on your own initiative without supervision. Our team is small – at what will be just seven people – so we need someone who is self-motivated and enthusiastic about the work we do and about bringing it to the widest audience possible in the clearest way possible.
Key roles and responsibilities
The External Affairs representative’s responsibilities will include:
- Directing the Institute’s overall fundraising and external communications strategy
- Tracking the Institute’s fundraising efforts on key projects
- Proactively engaging key stakeholders on projects, encouraging raised giving to fundraised projects
- Comfortably dealing with high level individuals, as well as willing and able to work abroad and in the UK independently
- Arranging meetings for Directors, as well as independently representing the ASI meeting themselves when required
- Copy writing, checking and directing external communications on key projects
- Managing inbound enquiries for conferences, annual lectures, academic and student events
- Managing key national press and media contacts
- Representing the Institute in print and broadcast media
- Overseeing the Institute’s social media, including its Facebook and Twitter presence, and editing the Institute’s blog
- Overseeing communications with the Institute’s subscribers and supporters, including its fortnightly e-bulletin, regular ‘dispatches’, quarterly report and annual review
- Growing the Institute’s online presence and mailing lists
Experience and skills
The External Affairs representative’s essential requirements include:
- At least a 2:1 Bachelors’ degree in politics, economics, government or related field. Masters degree preferred
- Minimum of 2 years experience in a fundraising role for medium-sized organisations, including (but not limited to) project management, budgeting, corporate and individual liaison
- Experience in communications-based roles, including communications with relevant stakeholders, partner organisations, as well as through print and broadcast media
- History of developing organisational relationships and promoting the mission of the organisation
- Experience with membership databases (Salesforce experience preferred)
- Experience with organising or assisting with events
- Evidence of support for free market liberal principles
- High levels of attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritise and work to tight deadlines
- Organisational skills
- Willingness to work outside job description as needed
- Ability to work as a member of a team
Other relevant information
Interviews will be held on a rolling basis, with applicants ideally being able to start at the end of January (but we’re flexible on that front).
Please send to [email protected]:
- An up-to-date CV.
- A covering letter of 300-500 words about your career, your interest in the ASI and yourself.
- A 300-500 word suggestion for how the ASI could increase its effectiveness in fundraising in the UK and overseas.
- 2-3 examples of written work (blog, newspaper article, comment piece)