The Policy Center for the New South (PCNS) is a Moroccan think tank whose mission is to contribute to the improvement of the economic and social public policies that challenge, at the beginning of the century, Morocco and the rest of the African continent as integral parts of the global South.
The PCNS advocates for the concept of an open, accountable and enterprising “new South”; a South that defines its own narratives as well as mental maps around the basins of the Mediterranean and the South Atlantic, as part of an forward-looking relationship with the rest of the world. The think tank aims to support, through its analytical endeavours, the development of public policies in Africa, and to give the floor to the experts of the South on the developments that concern them. This positioning, focused on dialogue and partnerships of different origins, is to cultivate African expertise and excellence, able to contribute to the diagnosis and overcoming of the challenges that arise across the continent and the world.
Policy Center for the New South is seeking a rigorous and highly motivated individual to provide research to the think Tank’s Geopolitics and International Relations Department. This is a position for candidates with previous work experience in research, hence kindly note that duties and positions evolve according to seniority and experience.
International Relations Specialists undertake research and analytical work, writing, communication, and presentation of research findings. PCNS’ IR Specialist need to have excellent communication and writing skills.
The candidate should demonstrate an excellent understanding of international relations challenges, and an interest the African continent’s development issues.
Key roles and responsibilities
A) Research Tasks
- In collaboration with research staff and PCNS Fellows, draft analysis and research on key African countries for incorporation into project publications;
- Provide analytical reviews and summaries of existing literature pertinent to the projects;
- Locate and collect relevant documents and data from sources such as electronic databases libraries, and government publications;
- Compile, read, abstract, and organize written material into bibliographic form and summaries;
- Contribute to analytical work produced by experts, to the blog and globally to all publications;
- Maintain electronic bibliography files;
- Assist with special projects and perform other duties as assigned.
B) Project Management
In addition to tasks specific to research, IR Specialists are frequently invited to contribute to the organization of meetings and conferences related to the center’s projects.
Experience and skills
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Political Sciences; International Law; International Relations or any relevant education for the position;
- Relevant work experience in research;
- Ability to undertake research assignments and case studies with little supervision required;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Excellent time management and ability to organize, meet deadlines, and multitasking;
- Fluency in French and English (reading, speaking, and writing) is required. Knowledge of additional languages is a plus.