Third Way is a national think tank that champions modern center-left ideas.
Third Way’s Climate and Energy Program is committed to the fight against climate change. We are seeking a Policy Advisor for Transportation to join our efforts to create a zero-carbon energy future. This individual will help lead our educational engagement with Congressional policymakers on policies to eliminate climate pollution from the transportation sector, with a particular focus on electrification and innovation for surface transportation and aviation. The Policy Advisor will explain these trends to an informed audience through written and digital content, and collaborate with teammates and external partners on strategies to advance key policy priorities.
Key roles and responsibilities
As the Policy Advisor, a typical day might include:
- Producing high-impact policy recommendations on key actions that governments can implement to help eliminate carbon pollution from the transportation sector in the United States. This will include leveraging existing technologies like electric vehicles, innovation to develop new options for surface transportation and aviation, and other policies that could reduce transportation emissions including infrastructure;
- Developing written materials, and digital content that translate complex energy issues to a general audience in a compelling and easily understandable way;
- Formulating strategies and managing relationships with members of Congress and congressional staff, as well as other key constituencies—such as leaders in energy innovation and transportation, and climate and clean energy advocates—to promote Third Way’s clean energy and climate agenda; and
- Working with the Climate and Energy Program and other Third Way teams to plan and execute events and stakeholder engagement activities to further our mission.
Experience and skills
This might be the job for you, if you:
- Have an undergraduate or graduate degree in a relevant field;
- Have a minimum of three to five years of relevant experience working in transportation, climate and clean energy technology and policy, including working in or with Congressional offices;
- Have an understanding of transportation, infrastructure and relevant clean energy technologies, including electric vehicles, zero-carbon fuels, and federal transportation funding;
- Have exceptional writing skills, including the ability to explain complex topics to a non-expert audience in a clear and engaging way;
- Have strong organizational skills, including the ability to manage coalitions, plan complex events, and coordinate activities with a large number of collaborators and participants;
- Have experience with the federal budget and appropriations process (this is a plus);
- Enjoy working collaboratively with others;
- Enjoy being entrepreneurial in how you come up with new policy ideas and strategies to build support for policy ideas that will have a significant impact;
- Enjoy developing and expanding innovative technologies that will help dramatically reduce carbon emissions and address climate change from the transportation sector in an equitable and just way; and
- Think creatively about how you communicate your ideas to our audiences, including the use of digital platforms, such as audio, video, and infographics, as well as traditional written material.
In the Third Way Culture, we are looking for:
- Self-starters: People who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and will bring a sustained passion for our mission.
- Collaborators: People who work in teams—sharing ideas, brainstorming, co-authoring products, and advancing its shared priorities.
- Creators: People who foster divergent thinking and aren’t afraid to take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right. Team members come up with original insights, find unique ways to look at data, and challenge their preconceptions.
- Results-oriented: People who function with an organizational commitment to clear objectives, ambitious timelines, accountability for results, and a focus on impact.
- Respectful: People who embrace the diverse perspectives of everyone and fosters the values of diversity, equity, and inclusiveness at all times.
Other relevant information
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.