Nesta is an innovation foundation. For us, innovation means turning bold ideas into reality and changing lives for the better. We use our expertise, skills and funding in areas where there are big challenges facing society. Nesta is based in the UK and supported by a financial endowment. We work with partners around the globe to bring bold ideas to life to change the world for good.
Are you a proactive, analytical and entrepreneurial individual, with research expertise in innovation policy, economics, economic development or industrial strategy? Looking to use your research experience to influence UK policy debates, or work in a research role within government and want to challenge the system from outside?
Key roles and responsibilities
Working within the Research, Analysis and Policy team, our successful candidate will focus on producing research on the benefits of how innovation can be spread more widely across the UK, and how cities and regions promote inclusive innovation-led growth. You will identify original research questions and manage a portfolio of research projects that provide real-world policy insight, as well as:
- Representing Nesta as an expert in your field at meetings, events and public speaking engagements
- Writing clear, concise material beyond reports such as blogs and opeds
- Staying up-to-date on the latest thinking in innovation policy and provide thought leadership on innovation policy debates both externally and within Nesta
- Contributing to the development of a wider community of researchers across Nesta
- Working collaboratively with other teams within and across Nesta to create quality, original research outputs
Experience and skills
With strong qualitative and/or quantitative research skills, you will have a proven record of successfully working in a fast-paced research or think tank environment, getting up-to-speed quickly with new subject areas and juggling short-term and larger in-depth pieces of research. You will also have experience leading on the production of research outputs for multiple audiences – especially policymakers – as well as more public-facing outputs such as blogs or articles.
An outstanding communicator, both verbal and written, with good attention to detail and a clear writing style, you’ll be a source of creative ideas, able to bring a unique perspective that can influence others and help steer external debate.