Centre for London is a think tank and charity focused on London’s critical challenges.
Do you want to help deliver major events that tackle London’s biggest challenges? The Centre for London is looking for a senior events officer.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Coordinate the design, coordination and production of major conferences and other
events – including developing funding proposals, shaping on-stage content, securing
speakers, creating guest lists, scouting and securing venues, meeting with funders,
composing invitations (in Mailchimp) and administering responses (in Salesforce).
- Lead delivery of the smooth running of events including event logistics.
- Liaise with speakers, sponsors, venues, stakeholders and contractors.
- Compose copy for the website, briefings and social media.
- Work with the communication team to coordinate media involvement and marketing/promotion
- Recruit and train events staff.
- Develop new ideas for Centre for London’s events programme, and bring them to life.
Development and Fundraising
- Work with the development team to ensure the smooth delivery of sponsor benefits and
communicate regularly with sponsors.
- Work with others to develop and fundraise for the events programme including researching
sponsors, speakers and exhibitors, developing ideas for events and preparing fundraising
- Proactively research and identify suitable organisations interested in the Centre’s work through
incisive prospect research and helping to formulate and deliver strategies for engagement.
- Maintain and improve CRM Salesforce through adding new contacts, data cleaning, coding
contacts for relationship management and proactively suggesting improvements.
- Contribute to impact reports for funders and assist in the production of the annual report.
General Responsibilities and Duties
- Conduct the duties of the job description in accordance with the operational policies of Centre
for London, including but not limited to the diversity policy and code of conduct
- Maintain good working relations with trustees, staff, volunteers and other stakeholders
- Present the organisation in an appropriate and professional manner to its stakeholders
- Contribute to the development and growth of the organisation through working in accordance
with its wider objectives, corporate philosophy and values.
- Assist at Centre for London events outside of normal working hours as necessary
- Undertake any other reasonable duties as may be required.
Experience and skills
- Applicants be passionate about London and must show commitment to the mission of Centre for
London; to develop new develop new solutions to London’s critical challenges and advocate for a fair
and prosperous global city.
- Experience running conferences and/or large events with significant experiences delivering
events logistics including venue selection and booking, working to budgets, managing catering,
AV and event staff.
- Experience working with stakeholders to collaboratively plan event content, including
determining key questions and selecting speakers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in a variety of contexts, e.g. composing event
copy and speaker invitation letters, preparing event briefs, speaking with prospective
and existing funders.
- Experience managing relationships and communicating with funders, VIPs or stakeholders.
- Experience in fundraising, particularly from corporates, an advantage.
- Awareness of London policy, networks and government, and how to effect change in policy
making and practice an advantage
- Alternatively, relevant experience in a related field
Competencies and attributes
- Highly organised. Creating clear plans and managing delivery challenges. Able to balance
and prioritise multiple tasks, often to urgent and competing deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail. Accurately record, recall and execute details such as sponsor
requests, names and titles of key stakeholders, venue requirements and other details.
- Professional and confident communication skills (written and verbal). Able to liaise with
senior people (e.g. speakers, chairs, sponsors) and sharing creative ideas.
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to assist with high level event attendees and
stakeholders, anticipating their needs.
- Ability to adapt and learn quickly. Able to show initiative and adapt quickly to new
- Strong IT proficiency, including MS Office, Salesforce, MailChimp and WordPress CMS.
- Ability to follow guidelines and procedures to comply with the Institute of Fundraising Code
of Practice; maintain confidentiality and work with financial data and personal data within ICO
and GDPR regulations framework.
- Excellent team player
Other useful information
Your application should show how your experience and achievements to date would make you a suitable candidate for this role (no more than three pages total).
Your application should be saved as a single PDF with your application ID as the title. Please check that your name isn’t included on your CV or cover letter.
Email your CV and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line ‘Senior Events Officer’.