Our funding story
On Think Tanks
On Think Tanks started as a blog, set up by OTT founder Enrique Mendizabal in 2010. At the same time, Enrique set up OTT Consulting Ltd, a small UK-based consultancy that services think tanks, funders and other policy actors, to support On Think Tanks’ mission.
From 2010-2015, Enrique used profits from consultancy projects to support all of On Think Tanks’ initiatives and to cover travel costs, website development and research assistance.
2015 was a big year for On Think Tanks as we received our first external grant from the Hewlett Foundation. Since 2015, On Think Tanks has been mainly financed through the generous support of the Hewlett Foundation and the profits from OTT Consulting. We also are incredibly grateful to all the people and institutions who volunteer and contribute time and expertise to On Think Tanks.
Transparency about funding is important to us, and we’re always seeking to polish our Transparify stars by providing up-to-date information about our funding here. If there is anything you feel isn’t covered by this page or you have any questions about our funding, please get in touch.
Institutional support for On Think Tanks
Here’s a summary of the Hewlett Foundation funds since 2015:
- For the period 2015-2016, OTT received USD 230,000 (channeled via Universidad del Pacifico)
- For the period 2017-2018, OTT received USD 380,000 (channeled via Universidad del Pacifico)
- For the period 2019-2021, OTT received USD 800,00 (channeled via Universidad del Pacifico)
- For the period 2022-2024, OTT will receive USD850,000 (funding provided directly via OTT Consulting)
In addition we have received funding for On Think Tanks activities from Open Society Foundations, the Robert Bosch Foundation and Mercator Stiftung.
OTT Consulting Ltd
Our income for 2021-22 was GBP858,422
For up to date information visit our projects page.
Our clients include:
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- ITAD (for UK DFAT)
- Grupo Faro (for the US Embassy in Panama)
- Giving Evidence
- Transparency and Transparency Initiative
- Mawazo Institute
- GIZ Egypt
- China Trust Dialogue
- Laudes Foundation
- ILO – CINTERFOR
- RTI International
- Echidna Giving and Imaginable Futures
- EU Delegation in Palestine
Voluntary work and in-kind contributions
Much of what OTT has been able to achieve since it was founded in 2010 has been down to the voluntary work and contributions of a number of institutions and individuals. We couldn’t do what we do without them.
If you would like to work with us or support us please get in touch