The On Think Tanks sector survey help to understand how policy research centres, think tanks, and those related to think tanks and evidence-informed policy see their contexts, the key challenges they faced, their growth plans and the most pressing policy issues to address.
The most recent survey in 2022 explored think tanks’ perceptions and responses to growing economic and political turmoil worldwide. This year’s survey also explored how think tanks are addressing issues relating to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). In total, 234 respondents, mostly senior level thinktankers, shared their views on the current landscape and their predictions for the future.
The following questions were included in the survey:
- Reflecting on the last year, did the think tank funding context in your country change? If so, how?
- Reflecting on the last year, did the political context in your country change? If so, how?
How do you foresee the funding context in your country in the year ahead?
How do you foresee the political context in your country in the year ahead?
In terms of staff, is your think tank planning to grow (increase staff numbers), reduce or stay the same in the year ahead?
In terms of staff, do you think other think tanks in your country are planning to grow (increase staff numbers), reduce or stay the same in the year ahead?
What are the key challenges think tanks in your country are facing in 2022?
What do you think the research agenda in your country should be in the year ahead?
Approximately how many staff members does your think tank have dedicated to communications?
What does your organisation do to address diversity, equity, and inclusion issues? Could you share some examples of the policies or actions your organisation takes to address diversity, equity, and inclusion issues?
View the results of the survey here.
Past sector surveys
The first OTT sector survey assessed the impact of COVID-19 on think tanks and was carried out between 7 April and 25 May 2020. In total, we received responses from 138 individuals. The results of the survey are available here. A more in-depth series of publications drawing data from the survey can be read here.
OTT carried out the second sector survey in May 2021. Building on the 2020 survey, the 2021 edition questions asked the following questions:
- Reflecting on 2020, has the context in which your organisation operates changed? If so, how?
- How do you foresee the context (in which your organisation operates) for 2021?
- Is your organisation planning to grow, reduce or stay the same in 2021 ?
- Which will be the key challenges you think your organisation will face/ is facing in 2021?
- Which will be the key issues you will be focusing on (2021 and onwards)?
Further surveys will be carried out yearly to track changes in the sector and to address topical issues that might arise.
If you have any questions, please email [email protected].