Third Way is a national think tank founded in 2005 to champion modern centre-left ideas. Our work is grounded in the mainstream American values of opportunity, freedom, and security. We are proud of the organization we have built and continue seeking talent who contribute to our ambitious mission. We are deeply committed to promoting a culture of results and respect where every employee has opportunities to contribute, develop, and grow professionally.
Third Way is seeking a candidate who can develop and oversee the execution of federal policy and advocacy strategies across various solutions vital to address climate change, ensure American competitiveness, and provide well-paying jobs to American workers.
The ideal candidate would manage a high-performing team of policy staff working on issues that could include clean energy innovation, low-carbon government procurement, and carbon management. The ideal candidate will have excellent management, organizational, and communication skills; sound political and policy judgment; and a proven ability to learn quickly, think strategically and help a team accomplish its goals.
Key roles and responsibilities
As the Deputy Director, a typical day might include:
- Setting policy and advocacy strategy with the policy staff and Director for Policy to meet the Climate & Energy Program’s impact goals on clean energy innovation, carbon management, and industrial decarbonization issues.
- Overseeing in-depth research and quantitative analysis by your direct reports to help make a case for our policy agenda.
- Editing high-impact reports, memos, and other products persuasively advance our policy goals and illuminate these actions’ climate, economic competitiveness, and political benefits.
- Spearheaded communication with and outreach to the Hill and relevant federal agencies to advocate for policy ideas that would advance Third Way’s climate and energy goals.
- Acting as Third Way’s liaison to leaders in the climate and clean energy communities, industry, and academics, to promote Third Way’s clean energy policy priorities.
- In coordination with the Climate Program Communications team, speaking in the press and at public events to disseminate Third Way’s work and perspective.
- Managing the work of Third Way senior policy advisors, policy advisors, consultants, and coalitions.
- Overseeing the fulfilment of all relevant grant obligations, including reporting requirements.
Experience and skills
This might be the job for you if you:
- Have a minimum of five years of experience in clean energy policy or a relevant field and have managed high-performing staff who meet ambitious project, campaign, or programmatic goals.
- Want to contribute towards Third Way’s mission, take pride in and ownership of your work.
- Curious and eager for professional development.
- Think on your feet and adapt to changes effortlessly.
- Communicate clearly and effectively in writing and verbally
- Motivated and driven by your passion for opportunity, freedom, and security want to make a difference and make an imprint as Third Way’s newest Deputy Director.