Centre for London is a charity focused on London’s critical challenges. Sitting within the newly created External Affairs team, the External Affairs Manager (Events and Partnerships) will deliver engaging, accessible, and impactful events.
The pandemic has made event planning and delivery challenging but it has also presented opportunities to do things differently. In this role, you will lead a small team to deliver digital, hybrid, and in-person events that provide a platform for the sharing of ideas and robust policy debates. You will build on Centre for London’s existing reputation and ensure that our events continue to be well attended, highly regarded, and delivered on budget. You will also play a vital role in building our relationships with new and existing sponsors and partners.
Do you want to run events that engage policymakers and help shape London’s future?
Key roles and responsibilities
- External affairs: Events Delivery
- Work with the Director of External Affairs to develop and a new strategy to raise the Centre’s profile through events.
- Deliver high-quality events (in-person, virtual and hybrid) and activities that engage target audiences, promote our work and help to shape policy debates.
- Lead on the development and production of larger, complex events such as the annual London Conference.
- Lead on event production, logistics, contingency planning, monitoring and evaluation.
- Manage and develop junior members of the events team, including one Senior Events officer and Events Assistant.
- Grow the Centre’s network of speakers and audiences to ensure a diverse set of people are involved in our events, and deliver on our equality and diversity commitments.
- Work with the External Affairs team to identify opportunities to produce compelling event content – videos, images and graphics – and ensure we capture and share this content across the Centre’s digital platforms.
- Building organisational event capacity
- Partnerships and Fundraising
- Financial management and strategy
Experience and skills
Experience delivering online and/or in person events of different sizes (from small round tables to large 500+ conferences).
- Experience managing relationships and communicating with funders, VIPs or stakeholders.
- Experience working with stakeholders to collaboratively plan event content, including determining key questions and selecting speakers
- Experiences evaluating events and projects and making changes based on the feedback.
- Working knowledge of health and safety guidelines and practices for events
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to prioritise effectively, work efficiently and juggle competing priorities.
- Line management experience
- Experience running events political, parliamentary or policy events
- Knowledge of London policy, networks and government, and how to effect change in policy making and practice an advantage
- Experience in fundraising, particularly from corporates.
- Experience of running hybrid events.
Other useful information
When applying we ask applicants to anonymise application files so we can do our best to assess them based on their contents to make the process as fair as possible. Therefore, to apply:
Follow the link on our website to complete the application information.
Email [email protected] with the subject line “External Affairs Manager (events and partnerships)” and include:
- File 1: Your CV and cover letter showing how your experience and achievements to date would make you a suitable candidate for this role (max three pages combined total) saved as a PDF with your initials as the file title and include it as a header within the file too. Please remove any reference to your name, including your email address.
- File 2: Responses to the assessment questions (below) saved as a PDF with your initials as the file title and include it as a header within the file too. Please remove any reference to your name.
The following assessment questions will be assessed anonymously:
- The pandemic has changed the way we work and the type of events we deliver. Describe the key components of a successful event that is both online and also has an in-person audience (200 words max).
- How would you make sure our events are inclusive and representative of London’s diverse population? What do you think the challenges might be? (200 words max)
Please note, applications will only be submitted when the form has been completed and your pdf received via email.