The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., and with regional offices across the country—seeks a collaborative and adaptive Manager of Business Development to support business development functions for our policy programs. If you want to join a hardworking organization and do something outstanding, this may be just the opportunity you need.
Your typical day at R Street may include researching prospective donors, facilitating and reviewing proposals, preparing executives for meetings with potential donors, and tracking engagements in Salesforce. This role will help implement a fundraising strategy for a portfolio of policy programs with a focus on attracting and retaining foundation and corporate donors. The portfolio will likely consist of handling donors and prospects in the following program areas:
- Energy and Environment
- Finance, Insurance and Trade
Key roles and responsibilities
You will collaborate closely with the Business Development and Policy teams to build a healthy pipeline of donors for all program areas. This includes:
- Contacting prospective donors to set meetings.
- Supervising the proposal workflow.
- Assessing progress using Salesforce.
- Forecasting revenues.
- Meeting with Policy Directors on a regular basis to promote fundraising efforts.
- Analyzing policy developments that will drive fundraising strategies.
- Maintaining existing donor relationships to ensure positive returns on investment.
- Collaborating with coworkers to build strategies that grow existing relationships.
Other Aspects of Your Role
- Coordinate grant life-cycle activities from kick-off meetings to final reporting.
- Facilitate donor care activities.
- Coordinate fundraising strategies with shared services teams such Communications, Finance and Government Affairs.
- Maintain data efficiency, integrity and utilization in Salesforce.
Experience and skills
Skills and Qualifications
- Analytics and communication.
- Synthesize sophisticated information and explain concepts clearly and concisely.
- Interpersonal skills and a strong team-orientation.
- Non-profit grant management experience.
- Serve in a cross-functional role that works with several different organizational units.
- Attention to detail and an ability to handle competing interests and priorities.
- Handle a healthy fundraising pipeline that achieves the organization’s revenue goals; experience with a mix of corporate and foundation donors preferred.
- CRM experience (Salesforce strongly preferred but not required).
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced work environment.
- Work in sophisticated and nuanced situations with a positive attitude, collaborative mentality and an open mind.
- Passion for free markets and limited, effective government.
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization.
Other useful information
We offer a flexible working arrangement. This is a full-time position that can either work the majority of the week in our D.C. office or be fully remote with occasional travel to the Washington, D.C metropolitan area. R Street is growing rapidly, but we remain a close-knit team.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide the following:
- Unlimited paid time off policy, including all Federal holidays, the day after Thanksgiving, and two weeks holiday closure in December
- Alternating Fridays off
- A health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families)
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match
- HSA employer contribution match
- Quarterly wellness reimbursement
- Mobile equipment reimbursement
- Internet subsidy
- Monthly mobile plan reimbursement
- Annual educational and professional development reimbursement
- An option between a child care assistance, pet care assistance, or student loan repayment assistance reimbursement
- R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity, relationship structure or anything else that’s illegal, immoral or nonsensical to use as a basis for hiring.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact qualified individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. Interviews will be held virtually, via Zoom.
To apply, you must upload a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format.