The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C.—seeks an experienced, resourceful, and energetic Senior Administrative Assistant to provide high-level administrative support, to plan and project coordinate for the president, and to collaborate with the business development team. This role reports to the Senior Manager of People Operations and Administration.
A typical day at R Street may include scheduling internal and external meetings, researching a profile of a potential donor, helping the business development team set up prospective donor meetings, and coordinating travel domestically and internationally.
The right candidate will have the foresight to identify and address issues before they become problems, and the ability to actively find solutions. The candidate will also work to anticipate the president’s needs and work to establish a high degree of trust and maintain confidentiality. The ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to prioritize complex and competing tasks and projects is a must. Along with handling meeting agendas, heavy travel scheduling, expenditure tracking and reconciliation, this position also requires a candidate that can edit and draft documents and minor research projects.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Manage president’s calendar and handle logistics of meetings and video/conference calls.
- Heavy calendar management.
- Arrange travel including cost analysis, creation of itineraries, and tracking modifications made to travel plans for receipt reconciliation.
- Draft, edit and send off communications and packages from the President in a timely manner.
- Partner with the business development team to prioritize meetings and events for the President.
- Coordinate with the business development team/policy directors to develop pre-brief meetings and materials for donor meetings and calls.
- Occasionally edit and draft documents and minor research projects.
- Periodic lookout shifts to guard against ninja infiltration.
Experience and skills
- Willingness to learn new tools and skills.
- Creative problem-solving.
- No particular educational background is required: proven ability to achieve results is far more important than credentials.
- Hospitality or customer service experience.
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization.
Other useful information
R Street offers a flexible working arrangement and this position will be classified as a hybrid position, allowing the candidate to work from both the physical office and home a few days of the week. Candidates must live in the Washington, D.C. metro area. This role may be required to occasionally work longer hours and some weekends.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide the following benefits and perks:
- Unlimited paid time off policy, including all Federal holidays, the day after Thanksgiving, and two weeks holiday closure in December
- Alternating Fridays off
- A health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families)
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match
- HSA employer contribution match
- Quarterly wellness reimbursement
- Mobile equipment reimbursement
- Home Internet subsidy
- Monthly mobile plan reimbursement
- Annual educational and professional development reimbursement
- An option between a child care assistance, pet care assistance, or student loan repayment assistance reimbursement
- R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity, relationship structure or anything else that is illegal, immoral or nonsensical to use as a basis for hiring.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. Qualified candidates will participate in a multi-phase interview process beginning with telephone interviews, which will be conducted on a rolling basis. We will contact ideal individuals for virtual interviews via Zoom and final interviews will be held in person with our president in our D.C. office.
To apply, you must upload a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format.