The Stockholm Environment Institute is seeking a Senior Communications and Impact Officer to play a strategic role at the heart of their climate communications work.
Brief description of the organisation
Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI) is an international non-profit research and policy organization that tackles environment and development challenges. It connects science and decision-making to develop solutions for a sustainable future for all.
Their approach is highly collaborative: stakeholder involvement is at the heart of our efforts to build capacity, strengthen institutions, and equip partners for the long term. Their work spans climate, water, air, and land-use issues, and integrates evidence and perspectives on governance, the economy, gender and human health. Across their eight centres in Europe, Asia, Africa and the Americas, they engage with policy processes, development action and business practice throughout the world.
Brief description of the role
SEI’s mission is to leverage scientific knowledge and communication within SEI’s mandate to catalyse systemic change, engage key partners, and empower researchers in addressing global environmental challenges. By showcasing innovative solutions, amplifying findings through media and networking, they strive to influence policy agendas, provoke behavioural change and accelerate sustainable development for a prosperous future for all. This is an exceptional opportunity for a highly motivated individual to join a dynamic communications team at SEI, driving the impact of our research.
Key roles and responsibilities
- In partnership with the SPE Climate lead, create and implement SEI’s annual workplan on Strategic Policy Engagement (SPE) on climate ensuring visibility and engagement.
- Lead and implement communications and impact strategies for projects across team International Climate Risk and Adaptation, in consultation with team members, to generate visibility and impact for research.
- Keep abreast of discussions, issues and developments in international climate policy and identify and pursue opportunities.
- Lead communications outputs and activities that showcase SEI’s research during key influencing moments – such as perspectives, op-eds, policy briefs, events and media briefings.
- In partnership with the SPE Climate lead, coordinate the engagement and visibility of SEI during the annual COP and act as SEI’s UNFCCC focal point throughout the year.
- Support knowledge sharing on international climate policy with SEI employees and nurture partnerships with external stakeholders to maximize communication opportunities.
- Offer strategic content advice and editorial input, especially for SEI’s climate news X/Twitter channel.
- Uphold and enhance SEI’s communication policies, processes, and quality standards, with an emphasis on continuous learning and improvement – specifically in monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL).
- Harness relevant news and policy agendas for opportunities to develop op-eds, press releases, SEI perspectives, and other outputs such as podcasts, related to the SEI strategy.
Experience and skills
- Master’s degree in communications, journalism or an equivalent qualification. At least eight years of experience in PR, communications, journalism or a related field.
- Excellent communication skills in English, for both technical and public audiences.
- Strong project management skills.
- Experience with digital communication practices and technology (WordPress, social media).
- Experience identifying audiences/audience mapping and working with stakeholders.
- Experience working in international, multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrable familiarity with monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) methodologies such as theory of change, most significant change or monitoring log-frame.