EIT Climate-KIC (Knowledge and Innovation Community) is Europe’s foremost climate innovation initiative. Our mission is to leverage the power of innovation to build a zero-carbon, climate-resilient, just, and inclusive society. Climate-KIC’s strategy, Transformation, in Time, responds to the need for a 1.5° aligned, systemic approach to reversing global warming and developing climate resilience, commensurate with the complexity, scale and requisite pace of response to the climate challenge.
Climate-KIC has been progressing our strategy by taking a portfolio approach, applying systems innovation, taking a demand-led view and activating communities to support climate action. This is intended to unlock transformation to a net-zero, resilient future.
In order to support this we need a robust Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) team, approach and framework to assess our progress, on both implementing the strategy and reaching the climate goals we have set.
The Senior MEL Specialist (internally referred to as the MEL Orchestrator) will be responsible for leading the improvement and implementation of the new Climate-KIC MEL Framework, including providing direction and oversight for data collection and insight generation, analysis and reporting of results and progress towards our impact goals. The Framework blends more traditional approaches with principles drawn from Blue Marble, and focuses on understanding the contribution of deliberately-designed innovation portfolios to systems change.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Lead the implementation of Climate-KIC’s MEL Framework, with management and oversight of internal MEL processes as needed
- Ensure consistent and coherent MEL approaches and methods across the organization
- Support monitoring and portfolio management processes across the organisation
- Provide advice and support for MEL work with the Climate-KIC community
- Synthesise monitoring and evaluation evidence to inform decision-making and communications
- Collaboration with the Learning Services team to facilitate knowledge exchange and evidence-based learning across EIT Climate-KIC
- Foster connections with organisations and people who can enhance our MEL knowledge and expertise
- Engage in fundraising activities to support the MEL function
- Maintain the latest theoretical and practical knowledge about MEL, complexity theory, transition theory and related organizational development approaches.
- Position EIT Climate-KIC as a place for transformational systems change MEL innovation
- Preparation of reports for boards and communications for external marketing
- Author key impact reports for multiple audiences and represent Climate-KIC in negotiations with funders, policy-makers and likeminded organisations wishing to advance innovative approaches to MEL in the context of systems change.
Experience and skills
- Substantial experience in managing monitoring and evaluation in international settings
- Substantial experience in design and implementation of MEL using quantitative and qualitative methods (e.g. in government, philanthropic, not-for-profit sectors)
- Experience of successfully managing key stakeholder relationships to support MEL
- Experience of MEL in complex settings with a systems change focus
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to synthesise large amounts of information into clear and concise summaries.
- Ability to lead, motivate and support colleagues
- Strong group facilitation skills, including for virtual meetings and diverse participants.
Qualities, Personal Style, and Approach
- Flexible and professional with a ‘Get it done’ orientation
- Confident, credible and able to influence others
- Collaborative team-player able to work effectively within a matrix structure
- Friendly, constructive, and visionary
- Active interest and commitment to learning and applying new approaches/methods
- Develops and maintains strong networks and partnerships both nationally and internationally.