Third Way is a national think tank that champions modern center-left ideas.
Our work is grounded in the mainstream American values of opportunity, freedom, and security. But we identify as center-left, because we see that space in U.S. politics as offering the only real path for advancing those ideals in the century ahead.
Our agenda is ambitious, aspirational, and actionable. It is built on the bedrock belief that for political movements to succeed in our political system, they must relentlessly re-imagine their policies, strategies, and coalitions.
We are fighting for opportunity, so everyone has the chance to earn a good life; progress on social issues, so all have the freedom to live the lives they choose; and security, so we are protected from 21st century global threats.
Third Way is seeking a Vice President for the National Security Program. This is a high-profile, high-impact, senior-level policy position that supervises and coordinates all activities of the department and manages the work of three policy staff and outside consultants. The Vice President is a member of the senior management team at Third Way and reports to the Executive VP for Policy.
Key roles and responsibilities
As the VP for the National Security Program, a typical day will include these major areas of responsibilities:
- The goal of the National Security program is to develop policy solutions to 21st-century threats and challenges. The program has four principal areas of focus: 1) US-China policy, 2) US cybersecurity with an emphasis on better identifying and holding accountable malicious cyber actors, 3) world hotspots and front-burner issues, such as the Iran nuclear deal, and 4) the politics of national security and public opinion. The China focus is a new area of emphasis for the organization.
- The National Security Program has been a trusted policy voice on Capitol Hill and for past and current Democratic administrations. The Program’s successes have been featured widely in the press, and Third Way’s security policies have been adopted by House and Senate legislators and the Executive Branch.
- The Vice President for the National Security Program has both a policy and public role within the organization. The Vice President represents the organization with Members of Congress, administration officials, Hill staff, the business community, advocacy organizations, academics, Third Way’s Board of Trustees, and in the media.
- This position affords qualified candidates with an extraordinary opportunity to help rebuild a successful program that attritted its senior personnel to the Biden Administration. Our workplace is diverse, inclusive, collegial, and family-friendly.
**Please note all duties and events will be completed virtually until Third Way has established a return-to-work plan, at which point this position will be located in Washington, D.C.
Experience and skills
This might be the job for you, if you have:
- Experience: Candidates should have a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience working in the policy or advocacy arena, Capitol Hill, or administration. A strong network of Hill and administration contacts is preferred. A graduate degree is helpful but not required.
- Management Expertise: Candidates should have significant experience managing people and projects. Candidates must be organized and result-oriented. They must be able to keep multiple projects on track.
- Policy Expertise: Candidates should have a strong general background in national security. Candidates with policy expertise in cyber policy and China are preferred.
- Creativity and entrepreneurship skills: Candidates should be prepared to work with a team that thinks outside-the-box and challenges existing orthodoxies. Candidates must be prepared to formulate new policy ideas and promote them.
- Writing skills: Candidates must have a proven ability to write compelling and high-impact products.
- Communications skills: Candidates must have strong public presentation ability. Experience in working with the media is preferred.
- Teamwork skills: Candidates should enjoy working in a collaborative organization – a collaboration with both Third Way senior management and policy staff.
In the Third Way Culture, we are looking for:
- Self-starters: Are you eager to seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and bring a sustained passion for our mission?
- Collaborators: Do you like to work in teams— to share ideas, brainstorm, co-author products, and advance shared priorities?
- Creators: Do you welcome divergent thinking from those you supervise; are willing to question and take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right; get excited about surprising data?
- Results-oriented: Are you driven by impact and desire accountability for results?
- Respectful Teammates: Do you embrace diverse perspectives of everyone and value diversity, equity, and inclusiveness?
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports, and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.