The Urban Institute is the trusted source for unbiased, authoritative insights that inform consequential choices about the well-being of people and places in the United States. We are a nonprofit research organization that believes decisions shaped by facts, rather than ideology, have the power to improve public policy and practice, strengthen communities, and transform people’s lives for the better.
Our experts diagnose current challenges and look ahead to identify opportunities for change. And we don’t stop there. We use our research findings to help stakeholders craft relevant solutions and strategies that address today’s concerns and avert tomorrow’s roadblocks. And we share our insights in real time with influencers eager to make smarter decisions.
The Urban Institute is seeking Deputy Chief of Staff to support the Executive Office of the Urban Institute. This person will report to the Chief of Staff, and with a dotted line to Urban’s Senior Vice Presidents, to manage implementation of strategic priorities and help the Urban Institute live up to its mission and values. The Deputy Chief of Staff will be an exceptional communicator, who is adept at navigating complex internal dynamics and can develop a deep understanding of Urban’s work quickly. This person will be an essential member of the Executive Office team and be someone who Urban’s leadership can rely on to identify solutions and achieve goals.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Partner with the Chief of Staff to develop and implement strategic priorities pertaining to all parts of Urban’s work and workplace, including Urban’s framework for advancing racial equity in our culture, content, and climate.
- Support institutional strategy development, tracking implementation of priorities and working with colleagues across Urban to ensure effective execution.
- Manage Urban’s discretionary budget process, at direction of Urban’s Senior Vice Presidents and Chief of Staff to ensure that resources are aligned with priorities and that expenditures are having their intended outcomes.
- Manage and optimize an infrastructure for advancing the development and supporting the growth of research and policy programs across Urban, leveraging Urban’s executive, fundraising, communications, and other capacities.
- Build effective relationships with centers, business units, and senior leadership across the organization.
- Serve as a flexible and adaptable advisor to Urban’s executive leadership, capable of jumping in to solve problems and advance solutions as needed.
- Advance key priorities of the President, including preparing the president for external partnership engagement and managing programmatic follow up, as needed.
- Manage special projects for the executive office as they arise.
Experience and skills
The successful candidate will:
- Demonstrate a track record of at least seven years of management and/or policy experience, with increasing levels of authority and responsibility over time
- Establish comfort adapting to rapidly shifting goals and priorities, a commitment to continuous improvement, and the ability to take the initiative and work quickly and creatively
- Have clear general policy knowledge, or specific knowledge of one or more domestic and/or economic policy domains, and the ability to communicate said expertise effectively in order to easily engage with experts on all topics
- Display strong organization, relationship management, and communication skills
- Demonstrate commitment to and experience with principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion at the institutional and interpersonal levels.
- Exhibit comfort with outcome-based budgeting and a knowledge of principles of project management and strategy development.
- Demonstrate experience managing a small team, while working effectively both as part of a group and independently
- Work successfully on multiple assignments while using strong organizational skills and maintaining close attention to detail