New Local is a think tank and network of councils and other organisations working to energise local government and improve public services. At the heart of our work is ‘community power’ – the belief that people should be given the means to transform the places where they live and the services they use. We believe this is key to sustainable, fairer public services and a better society for all.
We publish research on community power. We campaign for change. And we work directly with public and voluntary sector bodies to help them hand more power and resource over to communities.
Flexible location with access to an office in London if required.
In recent months, New Local’s direct work with councils and other bodies to turn the principle of community power into reality has grown considerably. We have created the new senior role of Director of Practice to lead and expand this work.
The role will require the application of a highly entrepreneurial mindset within a strong social purpose context.
Key roles and responsibilities
Your job will include:
- Strategic planning: Developing and implementing a strategy for New Local to expand its practice work.
- Business development: Growing New Local’s practice work with individual councils and other public and voluntary sector bodies to become more community powered.
- Delivery: Leading and contributing to the delivery of practice work, in particular, designing and leading deliberative workshops and producing compelling and insightful reports for partners.
- Partner Engagement: Working closely with partners to develop projects and ensure satisfaction and engagement throughout projects.
- Innovation and development: Leading the continuous improvement of practice work.
- Internal collaboration: Working closely with the network, research and communications teams at New Local in the development of their work and the practice work.
- Organisational Leadership: Playing an active role as a member of the Senior Management Team to help deliver New Local’s mission of creating a community powered public sector and country.
Experience and skills
- An articulate and knowledgeable connector, who has the understanding and confidence to build relationships and work closely with the most senior officers and councillors working in local government and senior officials working in other parts of the public sector.
- Strongly entrepreneurial and committed to business development.
- An imaginative communicator who can write and speak clearly about compelling ideas for change.
- A keen planner whose attention-to-detail is proven to keep projects timely and impactful.
- A champion for community power.
- A friendly and supportive colleague able to work in a highly creative and collaborative environment that encourages autonomy and excellence from all members of the team.