The International Peace Institute is an independent, international not-for-profit think tank with a staff representing more than 20 nationalities, located in New York across from United Nations headquarters. IPI is dedicated to promoting the prevention and resolution of conflicts between and within states by strengthening international peace and security institutions. To achieve its purpose, IPI employs a mix of policy research, convening, publishing and outreach.
The Events Manager position is a full-time position under the overall supervision of the Director of External Relations. The Events Manager works with the Director of External Relations to oversee all IPI events taking place in New York. Liaising with event partners, program staff members, the External Relations Coordinator, Event Coordinators, and the facilities team, the Events Manager will serve as the focal point for all events at IPI. The Events Manager will also work on outreach and follow-up activities related to IPI events. This position requires an energetic multitasker with related experience and excellent judgment, discretion, attention to details, initiative, and the ability to prioritize. It is imperative and essential that the person in this position has good communication skills, the ability to remain calm under pressure, is polite and has a positive disposition when liaising with staff and guests. It is recommended that this person has at least 3-5 years of professional and managerial experience.
Key roles and responsibilities
In coordination with the External Relations Director, the Events Manager will oversee all ongoing IPI events taking place in New York. This will include the following responsibilities:
- Supervise event coordinators and the intern for the events department;
- Meet with prospective partners to discuss a proposed event;
- Conduct research to write event-related materials, including concept notes, invitations, and agendas;
- Oversee the invitation process;
- Research and invite potential speakers;
- Manage event-related outreach activities;
- Proofread participant lists, speaker biographies, and invitations for upcoming events;
- Manage the process of recording event partnerships on the database and oversee the reimbursement process following events;
- Manage the events calendar for all IPI events that take place in NY;
- Coordinate weekly updates informing staff members of upcoming events;
- Supervise all logistical aspects of an event including room set-up, check-in of participants, greeting of guests, handling of microphones, display of publications, and other matters as they arise;
- Work evening and weekend hours when assigned;
- Liaise with staff and coordinate on how to improve data recording for the purpose of reporting on IPI’s work and activities related to events;
- Liaise with staff and coordinate on all branding activities related to event; and
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of External Relations.
Experience and skills
- BA required;
- 3-5 years of professional and managerial experience;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills and an extraordinary attention to detail;
- Excellent ability to multitask;
- Knowledge of/proficiency in Salesforce a plus; and
- Interest in/knowledge of multilateral institutions/international affairs a plus.