Third Way is a national think tank that champions modern center-left ideas.
Our work is grounded in the mainstream American values of opportunity, freedom, and security. But we identify as center-left, because we see that space in U.S. politics as offering the only real path for advancing those ideals in the century ahead.
Our agenda is ambitious, aspirational, and actionable. It is built on the bedrock belief that for political movements to succeed in our political system, they must relentlessly re-imagine their policies, strategies, and coalitions.
We are fighting for opportunity, so everyone has the chance to earn a good life; progress on social issues, so all have the freedom to live the lives they choose; and security, so we are protected from 21st century global threats.
Third Way is looking for a Health Policy Advisor who is passionate about devising and advancing policy solutions that drastically reduce health care costs and get to universal coverage. This person will unpack and analyze health care trends and data, convey this information to an informed audience through written and digital content, and collaborate internally and with external partners to advocate for and advance policy ideas that reduce costs and expand coverage.
Key roles and responsibilities
As the Health Policy Advisor, a typical day might include…
- Conducting in-depth research and quantitative analysis to better understand and explain health care trends and data;
- Authoring high-impact written reports, memos, and op-eds that persuasively illuminate problems with our health care system and explain how we can cover everyone and reduce costs to both individuals and the system;
- Analyzing proposed policy ideas and assessing their impact on the health care system;
- Meeting with external partners including Hill staff and leaders in industry, nonprofits, and academia; and,
- Working with other members of Third Way’s economic, communications, and outreach teams to help plan and execute events and digital collateral.
Experience and skills
This might be the job for you, if you have…
- A graduate degree or an undergraduate degree in a relevant field plus exceptionally relevant work experience working on US health policy in government, as a journalist, at a research institution, or in the private sector;
- An understanding of health policy and a passion for getting to universal coverage and drastically reducing health care costs;
- A demonstrated ability to write clearly on complex topics for an audience of non-experts; and
- Comfort conducting quantitative analysis, including original interpretation and presentation of health data.
In the Third Way Culture, we are looking for…
- Self-starters: People who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and will bring a sustained passion for our mission.
- Collaborators: People who work in teams—sharing ideas, brainstorming, co-authoring products, and advancing its shared priorities.
- Creators: People who fosters divergent thinking; that aren’t afraid to take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right. Team members come up with original insights, find unique ways to look at data, and challenge their preconceptions.
- Results-oriented: People who function with an organizational commitment to clear objectives, ambitious timelines, accountability for results, and a focus on impact.
- Respectful: People who embrace the diverse perspectives of everyone and fosters the values of diversity, equity, and inclusiveness at all times.
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU’LL…
- Participate in Third Way’s comprehensive onboarding program. You’ll learn about all aspects of Business Operations, which includes benefits, IT, finance, and office operations.
- Meet your Third Way Buddy, be introduced to the entire staff, and start to learn the TW’s culture.
- Learn our current processes for payroll, compliance, and labor tracking, and how you will partner with Finance and the rest of the Business Operations team on these processes.
- Participate in weekly one-on-ones with your manager to ensure you fully understand the expectations of the job.
- Attend your departmental weekly meetings. You’ll learn about the key goals of your program, how they’re doing, what challenges they face, and how you will contribute.
WITHIN 2 MONTHS, YOU’LL…
- Gain an understanding each employee’s role and their contribution to the organization.
- Sit in on a riveting story about Third Way’s history with one of the original founders of Third Way. You will learn about our successes, as well as our failures. —-This will also afore you the opportunity to learn about future direction.
- Incorporate TW’s Style Guide and Production process into your work products.
- Participate in, at least, one of our internal Professional Development trainings or a Center for Fun activity.
- Learn and experience TW’s commitment to diversity, inclusion, and respect in the workplace.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’LL…
- Feel a sense of comfort and familiarity with the staff, your team, and your work.
- Continue to attend weekly departmental meetings with a stronger understanding of your team’s strategic goal.
- Bring new ideas and suggestions to your weekly one-on-ones with your manager.
- Attend and participate in external functions with other members of your team.
- Complete your 90 day self-evaluation and performance review with your manager.
- Partner with your manager to establish your long-term goals for the remainder of the year.
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports, and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.