The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C. and with regional offices around the country—is seeking a Northeast region manager who will be based within the Northeastern United States (preference will be given to those in the Boston area). This position will report to the director of state government affairs.
Candidates should be able to support and serve as a regional ambassador for all R Street programs, including energy, technology, tobacco harm reduction, and property and casualty insurance. This position will also play a key role in supporting R Street’s criminal justice reform initiatives within the Northeastern region and around the country too.
We want someone with particular experience in Northeastern United States. The ideal regional manager will have a strong knowledge of both public policy and an extensive network of contacts in Northeastern politics. A good candidate will be a fantastic networker, a self-starter, a very quick study on a wide range of policy areas and able to deal with new situations in a creative manner.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Educate state and local lawmakers and executive branch officials about R Street policy positions on harm reduction, criminal justice reform and a variety of other topics.
- Testify before legislative committees.
- Track and evaluate legislative and regulatory developments.
- Build ideologically broad coalition partnerships with other organizations to promote R Street messages.
- Arrange speaking, meeting and legislative testimony opportunities for R Street senior policy staff and R Street associates.
- Write papers for publication by R Street and others, as well as pieces for the popular and ideological press.
Experience and skills
- At least three years of experience in state politics. This might take the form of work as a legislative staffer, a lobbyist, a trade association professional or other similar work.
- Experience and contacts in government in the Northeast.
- Demonstrated understanding of criminal justice reform and tobacco harm reduction policies.
- Excellent writing ability, ideally demonstrated by a record of published work.
- Strong public speaking skills.
- Ability to articulate complex topics in easily digestible forms.
- Knowledge of, and connections with, civil-society and industry groups within the Northeast region.
Other useful information
Candidates who believe they are truly well-qualified are encouraged to apply even if they don’t precisely meet all of the qualifications above. However, it’s unlikely that academic credentials alone can substitute for work experience.
While this job does allow candidates to work from home and have some control of their specific hours, it is a full-time job inconsistent with any other employment. This job will ultimately involve a fair amount of travel, and it may also require unusual work hours. Candidates should expect and be able to spend at least some nights away from home.
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide the following benefits and perks:
- Unlimited paid time off policy, including all federal holidays, the day after Thanksgiving and two weeks holiday closure in December;
- Alternating Fridays off;
- A health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families);
- Dental and vision insurance;
- 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match;
- HSA employer contribution match;
- Quarterly wellness reimbursement;
- Mobile equipment reimbursement;
- Home internet subsidy;
- Monthly mobile plan reimbursement;
- Annual educational and professional development reimbursement; and
- An option between a child care assistance, pet care assistance or student loan repayment assistance reimbursement.
R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity, relationship structure or anything else that’s illegal, immoral or nonsensical to use as a basis for hiring.
While we impose no political litmus test for this job or any other, candidates should be comfortable communicating free-market messages. As such, applicants are strongly advised to review our webpage to assure they are comfortable with our work and our approach to it.
Candidates in whom we are interested will be contacted for telephone interviews, which will be conducted on a rolling basis, and will be further screened via virtual interviews. This will be followed by asking selected candidates to complete a writing test. Candidates who believe they are highly qualified and haven’t heard back from us should follow up.
To apply, you must upload a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format.