The Work Environment Council of New Jersey, Inc. (WEC) is a coalition of 70 labor, community, and environmental organizations advocating for safe, secure jobs and a healthy, sustainable environment. WEC seeks an experienced Policy and Advocacy Director. The position begins ASAP and is a 12-month full-time position with an option to extend. The deadline to apply is October 21 and resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Policy and Advocacy Director will be primarily responsible for policy development and senior level oversight to ensure high-quality organizational strategic and operational objectives are achieved in the WEC policy portfolio. A majority of the time will be spent on climate and clean energy work with partners in Jersey Renews, a statewide coalition of labor, environmental and community partners that WEC coordinates working on state-based climate policy, including emissions reductions, increased clean energy production, family-sustaining green jobs, reduced air pollution and a more sustainable transportation system. The Policy and Advocacy Director will supervise campaign organizers and work with coalition partners to develop strategic policy goals to ensure success and coordinate all of the organization’s legislative and regulatory outreach and direct advocacy. The Policy and Advocacy Director will report directly to the Executive Director.
Key roles and responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, staff, Board of Directors, and other key partners, lead the development of the organization’s policy agenda and coordinate legislative & administrative advocacy.
- Work with staff and stakeholders to develop and implement strategic campaign plans & advocacy outreach.
- Conduct regular policy assessment, research, and analysis.
- Work with campaign staff to execute policy agenda.
- Identify new opportunities for policy advancement with key decision-makers through legislation and rulemaking.
- In coordination with coalition partners, educate legislators and other public officials about WEC.
- Responsible for scheduling meetings or assisting organizers in scheduling meetings with key state leaders.
- Develop educational and advocacy materials to help advance the WEC policy agenda.
- With staff and members, develop and coordinate narratives and messaging.
- Coordinate Jersey Renews advocacy campaigns flowing from coalition efforts and key coalition meetings.
- Work to secure media coverage at key points in policy campaigns.
- Participate in fundraising efforts as necessary including funder meetings, writing proposals and reports.
- Attend regular staff meetings and WEC Board of Director meetings.
Experience and skills
This is a senior staff position that works closely with the Executive Director. The candidate must have a track record of results and extensive knowledge of the state legislative and administrative process. Strong policy analyst skills. A minimum of five years’ experience in managing staff. Experience working with labor unions and/or environmental organizations is a plus. Fundraising experience is also an asset.
- Master’s degree with at least four years of hands-on policy experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Unwavering commitment to excellence in project management.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- A valid driver’s license and car access are required.
- Bilingual (Spanish) is a plus.
We want a person who is self-directed with high energy, experience and enthusiasm; that works well under pressure; can handle multiple tasks at once and can adapt to changing situations; is committed to social justice; can meet deadlines; and is a hard worker who is well organized and recognizes that changing NJ is not a 9 to 5 endeavor. Must be willing to travel statewide.