The Center for Global Development, an independent, non-partisan research organization in Washington, DC
The Center for Global Development, an independent, non-partisan research organization in Washington, DC, is seeking a policy outreach specialist to support CGD’s policy engagement with Congress, the Executive Branch, NGOs, and others in the development policymaking community. This position will support work across the organization to increase the policy impact of CGD research, building relationships with external stakeholders, identifying opportunities to inform active policy debates, and helping to develop polished briefing materials. This unique opportunity involves working alongside researchers and policy professionals in an atmosphere that requires initiative to tackle tough, unstructured problems.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Support outreach and advocacy efforts to institutions, policymakers, and their staff
- Conduct background research and analysis. Co-author policy briefs, blogs, and papers,
under the direction of the Director for Policy Outreach.
- Track policy developments and identify opportunities to strengthen policy analysis and
outreach in one or more of CGD’s areas of focus
- Organize events, including setting agendas and preparing presentations and materials
- Develop relevant partnerships to amplify the work of the Center
- Contribute to the drafting of communications and reports to funders and supporters
Experience and skills
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and skills:
- A bachelor’s degree in economics, development, political science, or a related field and at
least five years relevant experience. A master’s degree may be substituted for some, but
not all, experience. Relevant experience should be in political, economic, or public policy
analysis related to international development.
- Strong knowledge and experience of working with government and US institutions.
- Excellent written and spoken English; proficiency in another language is a plus.
- Outstanding organization skills and attention to detail; proven ability to advance projects
with hands-off supervision while being accountable for the accuracy of outputs.
- Ability to communicate effectively with senior officials and other VIPs.