The Mercator Institute for China Studies (MERICS) is a Berlin-based, independent think tank and leading European provider of policy-oriented research on contemporary China. Founded by Stiftung Mercator, MERICS analyzes current trends in China’s economy, politics, and society and their implications for Europe.
MERICS’ Economy Program studies the state of China’s economy and how the Chinese leadership implements its ambitious agenda for institutional and economic restructuring. Focal areas of research include industrial upgrading, China’s evolving innovation system and digitization; economic reforms including financial sector and state-owned enterprise reforms, as well as China’s impact on the global economy. To complement the team, MERICS seeks to fill the following position as soon as possible.
Key roles and responsibilities
Research and Analysis
- Conduct original research on China’s impact on the global economy with a strong focus on implications for Europe
- Produce authoritative reports, policy analyses, academic publications and other written products on issues including patterns and trends in China’s international trade and investment, impact on global supply chains and its expanding role in international finance; contribute to a quarterly analysis of China’s economy
Project development and outreach
- Serve as an expert commentator in the media and engage in public outreach through op-eds, public talks, social media and other outlets
- Participate in public events and engage in consultative meetings with policy makers and stakeholders
Experience and skills expected of the post holder
- Strong academic background (minimum MA/MSc) in international economics or international political economy
- Demonstrated experience in analyzing trade, investment and finance – Analytical mindset and ability to work with large datasets (working knowledge of Excel required, experience with CEIC and/or statistical software is a plus)
- Minimum of three years of relevant professional work experience (excluding internships)
- Experience in living in China and/or working on China-related issues
- Fluent professional English skills; a good knowledge of modern Chinese, German or one other European language will be an advantage
- High degree of flexibility and willingness to work as part of a team
Other useful information
Depending on relevant experience, the position will be filled at the level of senior research analyst or research analyst. Appointments will initially be for a fixed term of two years with the possibility of extension to December 2023. The probationary period will be six months. Detailed descriptions of responsibilities and requirements for the position are available at: www.merics.org/jobs.
MERICS offers a stimulating work environment in a dynamic multi-disciplinary and international team. The positions will be based in Berlin. We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and qualifications and excellent benefits.
If you are interested in becoming part of our team, please submit your application by 30 June 2019, in one PDF document, containing (in this order) a letter of motivation, curriculum vitae and contact information for two references. Pleased do not at this stage submit any references or written work yet. Application should be directed to the MERICS management board and sent by e-mail to [email protected]. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted in the second half of July and interviews will be scheduled for the end of August.