On Think Tanks, University of Bath and Universidad del Pacífico have partnered to produce a series of Working Papers focused on the study of think tanks to give new researchers a chance to publish their ideas and reach a broader academic and practitioner audience.
The Working Paper Series will allow On Think Tanks to promote the emergence of new research on think tanks and on evidence informed policy world-wide. The studies promoted through the series will respond to a research agenda developed in consultation with the On Think Tanks team and community of partners at the 1st On Think Tanks Conference in London, February 2017.
Papers will be accepted and published in either English or Spanish.
How to participate?
- Check out our research agenda: On Think Tanks has published a research agenda to guide the choice of papers to publish. Please read it. We will give priority to these topics but others are welcome. There will also be some thematic calls launched from time to time: e.g. think tanks and science policy, think tanks in the Balkans and so on, so keep an eye to OTT’s Newsletter and social media.
- Submit your paper: The Working Papers will be drawn from submissions from researchers in the field, particularly individuals interested in publishing their post-graduate dissertations. There is no deadline for submissions and we will be reviewing them on an ongoing basis. To submit please:
- Email to Andrea Baertl at [email protected]; subject line: Working Paper Series: “Title of your paper”.
- Include your full name; email, address and mobile number; institutional affiliation
- Attach your paper
- Attach a 1 page summary of the paper (not an abstract but a full-summary including key findings/conclusions).
- Peer review: Papers will be peer-reviewed and chosen on a rolling basis upon submission, based on the decision of an editorial panel comprising: Jordan Tchilingirian (Lecturer, University of Bath), Enrique Mendizabal (On Think Tanks), Felipe Portocarrero (Principal Researcher, Universidad del Pacífico), Andrea Baertl ( On Think Tanks, Research) and Erika Perez-León (On Think Tanks, Communications). In some cases one external reviewer ,drawn from On Think Tanks Advisory Board and from University of Bath’s Research Network on think tanks, will also review the paper before publishing. You will be asked to respond to the panel´s comments.
- Publication: Each Working Paper will be published and disseminated widely through OTT’s channels as well as that of its partners. The Working Paper series will be branded as “On Think Tanks Working Paper” with the logos of both universities. We will publish digitally.
Are there any conditions?
We would like to encourage new research and new researchers. Therefore, we are targeting undergraduate and post-graduate dissertations. You may need to edit them before submitting them.
Working papers can be submitted in English or Spanish, and should be between 5,000 and 10,000 words. Please download the submission guidelines here, documents will only be accepted in this format.
What will we do with your papers?
If your paper is approved we will review it and publish it. It will then be widely disseminated through OTT’s various channels and sent directly to think tank leaders and funders. We will also publish accompanying articles to encourage a greater audience for your papers.
Published authors will also be invited to the 2018 On Think Tanks Annual Conference+ where you will have a chance to present and discuss your paper with the leading thinkers about think tanks in the world.
If your paper is not chosen for publication (we may only be able to publish 1 or two per month) you may still be invited to write an article for On Think Tanks based on your paper. We will also disseminate it widely and send it to key think tank leaders and funders.
There is no deadline for submissions and we will be reviewing them on an ongoing basis.