On Think Tanks is a global platform dedicated to the study and support of policy and evidence organisations and the broader policymaking and public interest environment. Our goal is to contribute to better informed public debates and policymaking.
We offer advisory services through OTT Consulting Ltd, and we strive to share what we learn from these engagements across all OTT’s initiatives, articles, engagement opportunities, and other knowledge offers. Please have a look at our projects.
The OTT team is made up of a small core team and a community of associates and consultants. The research and evaluation associate is expected to join the core team, working for OTT full time.
Over the last decade OTT has explored different aspects of the broad field of evidence informed policy. In recent years we have worked in projects relating to the relationship between social movements and think tanks, scaling impact (including the monitoring and evaluation of scaling interventions), new forms of communication and engagement for evaluations, monitoring and evaluation for policy research organisations, monitoring and evaluation of networks and partnership, the evaluation of foundations’ portfolios and strategies, etc.
We are looking for a research and evaluation associate who will help to consolidate this and lead the development of new and innovative practice in the future.
This will involve pursuing new and innovative approaches by designing new projects, obtaining funding and managing resources for their delivery. The associate will be expected to fundraise and develop new business to support OTT’s work.
The research and evaluation associate will also communicate and engage in international debates on the broad field of evidence informed policymaking.
The associate will actively inform the policies and decisions of global foundations, bilateral and multilateral organisations, international NGOs, think tanks and government agencies.
The research and evaluation associate will help shape the future of OTT.
Roles and responsibilities
The research and evaluation associate will take care of several roles that are central to OTT.
The research/evaluation fellow will perform these roles with the support from other members of OTT’s core team: OTT’s director, the Operations and Project Coordinator, the senior research associate, the director of research and learning and the director of communications. S/he will also have to work closely with other members of the broader OTT community, among associates and consultants. The research and evaluation associate will be line-managed by the OTT Director.
Specific roles involve:
- Contribute to and lead the development of evaluation and research proposals, expressions of interest and full project proposals;
- Lead the delivery of research and evaluation projects;+
- Provide specific technical inputs to ongoing research and evaluation projects – this work may include overseas travel (when safe);
- Proactively contribute to the generation of original content for multiple OTT channels and communicate and engage with OTT’s audiences;
- Take the lead in developing OTT’s evaluation practice and contribute to OTT’s research agenda;
- Proactively seek to inform OTT’s audiences on the basis of sound evidence and experience;
- Actively contribute towards building OTT’s community of associates and consultants.
Experience and skills
Above all, we are looking for an associate who will be an active contributor to OTT’s work and development.
- The ability to coordinate tasks amongst different activities and report to strategic positions within the team.
- The ability to manage time and resources and work with tight deadlines efficiently.
- Good sense of humour.
Key skills and competencies:
- Graduate degree in a relevant discipline.
- Extensive and deep knowledge of key issues and organisations in the international development and, in particular, evidence informed policymaking fields.
- Extensive knowledge on monitoring, evaluation and learning methods and approaches relevant to the field of evidence informed policy, policy influencing, organisational and social and political change – e.g Outcome Mapping, Outcome Harvesting, Most Significant Change, etc.
- Extensive experience of field/empirical research in a variety of settings, as well as primary and secondary data collection and analysis.
- Strong analytical skills. We are looking for someone who can incorporate political, economic and social elements to their analyses.
- Excellent communication and writing skills, and willingness to respond to queries and requests in a timely manner.
- Proven ability to translate research and evaluation ideas into fundable projects excellent communication abilities in relation to a wide variety of audiences including for fundraising and business development purposes. +
- Experience writing successful proposals in response to RfPs from foundations, bilateral and multilateral agencies, NGOs, etc.
- Skills in negotiation, listening, communication of ideas, problem solving, decision making.
- Ability to work as part of a team AND ability to work on own initiative and remotely. Yes, both.
- Strong multitasking and project management skills. Specifically, time management skills, including managing a complex and varied workload
- Excellent IT skills (Word, Excel, Power Point plus survey and qualitative/quantitative research software, ideal).
- Fluent in English and competency in other languages. Fluency in a language other than English (such as French and Spanish) would be desirable.
- Experience in producing high quality (published – think tank or consultancy style) research outputs in a short period of time and for different audiences.
- Experience working in a think tank, a policy research institute or a research or evaluation consultancy.
- Experience winning bids and developing fundable projects.
- An interest in contributing to the growth of OTT by promoting new initiatives.
- A positive disposition to engage with policy research funders, policymakers, thinktankers and think tank leaders from all parts of the world.
- Experience working as part of a remote team would be useful.
Other useful information
Salary: Between GBP40,000-50,000 depending on experience (gross) – note OTT is a UK based company. For UK residents this will be a salaried position; for non UK residents the post will be in the form of a long-term consultancy contract. A higher salary will be considered for exceptional candidates.
Application process: To apply, please use the link below to submit, by 7 March 2021, 23:59 in Peru:
- Your CV in PDF tailored to respond to the role (no more than 3 pages). A LinkedIn page is also acceptable if you think it is a strong reflection of your experience.
- A short video (no more than 5 minutes) in which you tell us:
- Why do you want to work with us?
- Why should we want you to work with you?
- A cover letter that addresses the competencies required and your experience in performing the roles for the post.
- Two references.
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed and asked to complete a simple task, during the week of the 15th March 2021.