OTT Consulting Ltd (OTT) supports foundations, governments, international agencies, NGOs, universities, think tanks and the private sector to contribute to better-informed decision making. We do this through different activities, including research, evaluation, strategic advice, facilitation and coaching.
OTT is a fully remote organisation. Our consultants, associates and partners come from different cultural and disciplinary backgrounds and are based all around the world. We take clients on a journey to identify and then meet their needs, challenging them and providing and lasting solutions.
OTT manages On Think Tanks, a leading global source of information, ideas, and support for think tanks and other members of the evidence-informed policy sector.
About the role
We are looking for a Research and Evaluation Associate to help develop and deliver a range of consultancy projects in the broad field of evidence informed policy. This is a senior position with about 10 years experience in this role
Examples of recent projects include: supporting the Hewlett Foundation to review and refresh their transparency, participation and accountability grantmaking strategy; evaluating the International Development Research Centre)’s strategic objective to scale research results; working with a group of businesspeople in Egypt to set up a think tank; supporting Mawazo – an NGO that supports female academics across Africa – to update its organisational strategy and review its operating model.
The Associate will have the opportunity to inform the policies and decisions of global foundations, bilateral and multilateral organisations, international NGOs, think tanks and government agencies, and to engage in national and international debates on evidence-informed decision making.
The Research and Evaluation Associate will be line managed by the OTT Director and work closely with the Programmes Director, Communications Director, the Operations and Projects Coordinator, and the wider team of associates, consultants, and partners.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Business development: Search for new project opportunities, contact funders and clients, lead and contribute to the development of concept notes, proposals and expressions of interest.
- Project delivery and support: Lead the delivery of projects and provide specific technical inputs to ongoing projects – this work may include overseas travel (when safe).
- Knowledge synthesis and development: Proactively contribute to the generation of original content sharing knowledge and learning from across OTT’s work.
- Communications and outreach: Engage with OTT audiences through our multiple channels and spaces, including social media, blogs, webinars and OTT Talks video/podcast series.
- Community building: Actively contribute towards building OTT’s community of associates and consultants.
Experience and skills
Key skills and competencies:
- Graduate degree in a relevant discipline.
- 10+ years working in or towards a similar role.
- Extensive knowledge of key issues and organisations in the fields of international development and evidence-informed policymaking.
- Extensive knowledge of monitoring, evaluation and learning methods and approaches relevant to the field of evidence-informed policy, policy influence, and organisational, social and political change (e.g., Outcome Mapping, Outcome Harvesting, Most Significant Change).
- Extensive experience of field/empirical research in a variety of settings, as well as primary and secondary data collection and analysis.
- Strong analytical skills: we are looking for someone who can incorporate political, economic and social elements into their analyses.
- Excellent communication and writing skills, for a variety of audiences including for fundraising and business development purposes.
- Proven ability to translate research and evaluation ideas into fundable projects.
- Skills in negotiation, listening, communication of ideas, problem-solving, decision making.
- Ability to work as part of a team and ability to work independently and remotely.
- Strong multitasking and project management skills. Specifically, time management skills, including managing a complex and varied workload
- Excellent IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint plus survey and qualitative/quantitative research software, ideal).
- Fluent in English and competency in other languages. Fluency in a language other than English (such as French and Spanish) would be desirable.
- Experience in producing high-quality research outputs for different audiences.
- Experience working in a think tank, a policy research institute or a research or evaluation consultancy.
- Experience writing successful bids in response to requests for proposals from foundations, bilateral and multilateral agencies, NGOs, etc. and developing fundable projects.
- Self-motivated and independent worker.
- Able to multitask, manage and prioritise competing deadlines.
- Able to manage time and resources efficiently.
Able to work and get along with a diverse set of individuals.
- An interest in contributing to the growth of OTT by promoting new initiatives.
- A positive disposition to engage with policy research funders, policymakers, thinktankers and think tank leaders from all parts of the world.
Other useful information
Terms of employment
- Hours: Full-time (flexible working hours)
- Salary: Competitive depending on your experience.
- Please note that OTT is a UK based company, for UK residents this would be a salaried position; for non-UK residents, the post will be in the form of a long-term consultancy contract depending on the legislation of your country of residence. Where possible OTT will seek to equate the benefits that UK based staff receive.
- Contract type: Fixed, 1 year, with an option to renew on a permanent basis.
To apply, submit your application by 31 January 2022.
The application form will ask for:
- Your CV in PDF (3 pages maximum)
- A cover letter outlining your relevant experience and skills (2 pages maximum)
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed and asked to complete a simple task. Successful candidates will be asked to provide two references.
If you have any questions about the position, please email [email protected]
Diversity and inclusion
At OTT we value diversity. We are a global initiative. We encourage applicants from all over the world and will not discriminate on the basis of anything other than the candidate’s ability to do the job.